Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(Logitech) optical mouse scrolling wheels working erratically if at all

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 1940LaSalle

1940LaSalle

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Preliminary question: is it possible that the scrolling wheels on an otherwise optical mouse simply wear out mechanically after a few years of use, and thus quit working? I have no idea how robust these are.

Anyhow: this is observed on an older machine (maybe 9 years old) running XP. One optical mouse had the scrolling wheel work poorly (that is, wheel movement yielded erratic/random amounts of scrolling), so I swapped out one mouse for another of a different vintage. The "new" mouse worked well for a while, then yielded erratic scrolling and finally none at all.

I looked for driver updates from Logitech thinking the drivers might somehow be corrupted; no luck in finding updates since apparently the mice in question are now-superseded models.

Hence my question: is the simplest / most likely explanation that I'm dealing with devices that have hit the end of their useful lives, and now it's time to go to Staples or wherever and plunk down cash for a new mouse? And a follow-up: is there one style (I'll call it) of mouse on which the scrolling wheel is particularly robust? For example, would I expect reasonably to have a real dreadnought scrolling wheel on a so-called gaming mouse?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Yes it happens. I can attest to this. I've had over the years 5 Logitech keyboard and mouse combos of one sort or another. The last one was a MX5500 and it's the first one where after 3 years of heavy daily use the Mouse scroll wheel finally died a slow death. First it was erratic then after about two months of making me crazy it just died. Keyboard still humming along flawlessly (knock on wood). So I'm trying to figure out whether to get a new combo or just a mouse. In the meantime I'm dealing with a USB mouse that is bare bones (not happy).

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users