Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ubuntu cannot mount harddrive

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kazuhira

kazuhira

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

I got a laptop for like half a year and after windows 7 got screwed twice i switched to ubuntu and was happy till one day it could not mount my harddrives anymore. i tried bleep to fix it, i tried to install windows, both 7 and xp and well, the cannot even be installed anymore. then i reinstalled ubuntu, tried opensuse and whatever. so any tips? thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

Mount what hard drives? The one you're installing to? Externals?

#3 Ezprezo

Ezprezo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

Hello kazuhira. It seems a bit more information is going to be required to solve this problem. I am most intrigued about the fact that you say you're unable to install Windows 7. Linux doesn't do anything like change your hard drive so you can't install anything else, or anything like that, so I'd love if you told me what error code you're getting, and if all else fails, I can help you with that.

As stiltskin said, what hard drive are you trying to mount? Boot up your hard drives, and tell me if using a command in the terminal, like "df -h" shows the hard drives there. It may be an issue with your file manager not displaying them...

#4 kazuhira

kazuhira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Thank you guys. Now, im talking about the internal 320 gb harddrive i got. Ubuntu now only handles the 20 gb i gave it to be installed to. The other partitions, no. I had one partition that was like 160 gb and ntfs. Again, one day it said it just cannot mount it anymore. As I said im over a few reinstall and trying to install windows as well (about this: in two months i had 2 windows 7s screwed up and aftere that came ubuntu. when this thing happened with linux, i tried to install xp, which said theres some virus or whatever and its not safe to go on installing. i tried 2 different xps. same. then windows 7 loaded forever). Now theres different partitions, its like theres this 134 gb filesystem and in it a lost+found folder. But I just cant use it. i cant put files in there.

#5 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Let's see if I'm correct in what I think you're saying.

You had Windows 7 installed. It kept screwing up, so you installed Ubuntu. One day Ubuntu wouldn't mount, so you tried installing XP without any luck. When that failed you tried installing Windows 7 and it never seemed like it was going to complete. You can see a partition that has a lost+foound entry on it.

Right so far?

The partition with the lost+found entry would be the linux partition. That would be a place to start or end, depending on where you want to go. You could get rid of it and install Windows something. Or you could keep it and try to reinstall or repair it.

That last is dependent on whether my guesses in the first long paragraph are correct. If not correct, it might be helpful to know exactly what I'm not understanding.

#6 kazuhira

kazuhira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

Yeah, thats right. So, now that it seems clear, what would you suggest?

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

It maybe time to perform some hard drive diagnostics on the hard drive. What kind of drive is it?

#8 kazuhira

kazuhira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

its a good question. i dont know how to do much things so maybe a bit more details?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

What kind of lap top is this, and can you take the hard drive out or go into the BIOS and write down the Model Number of the hard drive?

#10 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Yes, it sounds to me like it's either a hard drive or controller problem. Most likely the HD.

The errors from Winders 7, followed by the multiple other problems, point to hardware.

But it could also be RAM. Especially if the errors encountered are random. I.E. if you boot once and get one error, boot again and get a different one, boot again and get another, etc. Under that scenario, you might boot a couple of times and get the same error, but other errors would show up at various times. You can test RAM with memtest86+ even if the drive is bad.

But I'd also look into the drive being the problem. That sounds more likely.

#11 kazuhira

kazuhira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

@cryptodan Its an HP Pavilion g6. Unfortunetly im not as pro as to take it out and i dont know how to go into the BIOS either.

@stiltskin I ran memtest86+ and things looked okay. Any other suggestions?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Check your documentation on how to go into the BIOS.

#13 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Reset the boot order to the default settings
To reset the boot order to the default settings, follow the steps below.

• Turn on or restart the computer.
  • While the display is blank, press the f10 key to enter the BIOS settings menu.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00364979&lc=en&man_lang=fr&product=5068623&query=G6-1051ex&tool=

That will get you in where you can find what you're looking for.

As for changing drives, it's usually pretty easy to do. Here are a couple of links, one with a video:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01277210&lc=en&cc=us&destPage=document&dlc=en&product=5095976

I'd still be pretty sure it is the drive first. But if you'd like to have a larger one anyway, this situation is the perfect time to change it.

#14 kazuhira

kazuhira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

Thanks guys but what good is reseting the boot order gonna do?

#15 kazuhira

kazuhira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

The problems probably with the harddrive indeed. What shall i do now? Can I fix it using software?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users