Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Skype a risk?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

Is Skype a risk, for privacy or security protection? Is it the same risk as any Yahoo, AIM, Windows IM, Google Talk, GTalk, or like those? I tried various internet searches to try to learn about these and Skype but I do not understand these programs well and never yet used them. Skype is one of the popular ones, common for teaching and learning languages and international communications like having telephone call but with video and voice/audio, but the company that produces and supplies Skype seems too mysterious. Would also there be some interferences to/with other products installed on the computer? I wish too, that there were a good online forum to discuss Skype, as there are for some of the other kinds of commercial software products.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

but the company that produces and supplies Skype seems too mysterious.

Yeah Microsoft has been accused of being mysterious. But Skype is an Internet protocol communication product. So you are connected and any proactive measure you would undertake using MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, Trillian, Pidgen et al. You also apply to Skype.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

Just be mindful of links sent over any instant messaging application. This will insure at most a very secure practice. If you get a link from a friend on Skype, then call them up and verify that they sent it.

#4 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Now that M$ owns it,I WOULDNT USE IT FOR ANY REASON!!!!! (If i could @ all help it)

#5 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

I've been using Skype for quite some time and generally from my personal experience, it is somewhat more secure than Yahoo Messenger (as i sometimes get mysterious contacts added as well as spam). I don't usually get spam while using Skype and for me its features are better than Yahoo Messenger.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:51 AM

Now that M$ owns it,I WOULDNT USE IT FOR ANY REASON!!!!! (If i could @ all help it)

As far as international calls are concerned, I use Vopium which for monthly fee of just 10,29 gives you 2000 minutes worth of calls from either a mobile, or a landline. You can pay in other currencies as well.

For video calls, I use WLM which is totally free of course.

As for Skype, they're all too frequently in the news for all the wrong reasons:

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:19 AM

Skype is only attacked, because it uses port 80 and port 443 for traffic, if it used other ports ISP's could better control access.

#8 timnoeat

timnoeat

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

I don't think there is much risk. As there is always risk of privacy when you use the internet like facebook or any other website.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

I've used Skype on the computer since Skype was introduced in the states.

I have had a Skype portable phone (that has worked flawlessly) for 9 months.
No computer required....wired to cable modem thru switch.
Use Skype at home on your Cordless Phone - Skype

I want Skype to stay around. $5 a month for phone number, unlimited calling to States, Canada and many extras
such as caller ID, missed call, voice message, etc. I don't think can be beat.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users