Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aspire 7750G no longer recognizes internal monitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rgambord

rgambord

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Relevant Laptop specs:
Aspire 7750G-9855
Radeon HD 6650M (5107 MB)
17.3" LCD (B173RW01 V.3 -- Freshly replaced)
Windows 7 64x

I recently replaced a broken internal LCD on my Acer Aspire 7750G laptop. The reinstall went fine, at first; then, I noticed that bios wasn't registering the new screen for some reason; the screen would stay black until windows booted up and (presumably) loaded the screen drivers. In attempting to fix the problem with BIOS not recognizing the screen I did the following; at some point, the screen stopped being recognized by both windows and bios:
I rolled back the Radeon HD 6650M driver
I reset the bios settings to defaults
I restarted the computer after having been only hibernated for a few weeks

What I have tried to fix this problem:
I reflashed the bios to V 1.20, from Acer's site.
I reinstalled the Radeon HD 6650M driver from Acer's site.
I took the computer apart and tested the connection to the monitor as best I could. I found no loose connections, and the webcam (on the same harness) still works fine.

I should mention that both before, when only bios failed to recognize, and now, an external monitor worked in all cases. In display settings, the external monitor is the only one recognized. Hardware manager shows only the external monitor, and no errors or anything come up to indicate the computer even knows there should be an internal screen. From here I am just completely confused and frustrated. I'm wondering if flashing the bios with an external monitor plugged in may have caused some damage, or not? Should I try reinstalling all the drivers and reflashing without the external monitor, or would that be a waste of time? Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

Are you sure the new screen is good. It sounds like either a defective screen, cable, or video chip. Or a incompatible screen. Did you get an exact replacement screen or a universal screen?

Do you still have the old screen to try and see if it displays something.

No flashing the BIOS with the external hooked up should not cause any damage.

When you hooked up the flat cable to the panel are you sure it is inserted completely, Secured so It can not slip out. Usually that is done with tape.
That cable is easy to damage due to the delicate nature of those very thin wires. When unplugging it from the motherboard or the back of the panel never pull by the wires only by the connectors.

This sort of problem is a hard one to work on if you don't have known good parts to use for testing. That is why I suggested using the old screen since it did display something even if cracked.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 rgambord

rgambord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

I do not have the old screen for testing. However, I am pretty convinced this is not a hardware problem because the new screen has been working the last few weeks. It wasn't until I changed the software settings listed that it stopped working. I guess there is a minute possibility that the screen just happened to die when I just happened to be changing the video settings, but I have no way to tell. Does anyone know if there is a way to see if the motherboard is receiving a signal of any kind?

#4 rgambord

rgambord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

RESOLVED: The screws holding the screen into the case were slightly too tight. These screens seem to be extremely sensitive to pressure in specific areas. In some cases pressing on the bezel can cause them to stop working. Hope this helps others experiencing the same problem.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

I've never had that problem and I always tighten them to bottom out the bezel to the back. I will comment that many screens are marked not to press in certain areas.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users