Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Messed Up My Hard Drive What Do I Do Pplleeaassee

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 peterpete

peterpete

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:41 AM

Hello ive gat a pc problem,Im new to messing with hard drives and i probably shouldnt of done this cause i dont know how this works but i have an older pc old slow celeron processor,128mb ram and an western digital 7.2 gb hard drive that had windows me on it.I tried to download a ghost restore cd for from my other computer for windows xp(now I know you cant do that),well it didnt work of course,and it wiped out some files on my hard drive for windows me that was on it.I dont have a windows me boot disk but i do have a windows 95 software disk with installation book and a windows 98 upgrade disk.Everytime i boot the pc even if i have it on boot from cd rom it tries to boot the hard drive,which of course has missing files and is trying to load windows ME.I found out you can FDISK a hard drive and reformat it then possibly boot the windows 95 programand then maybe i can use the windows 98 upgrade disk from there.I cant get fdisk to work from dos i dont know how to type computer commands,not sure if im doing it right,i would like to be able to clean out hard drive completely and start over new,not even sure if i have the right version of dos,i had to make a floppy of dos from my windows xp computer just to get dos to work thenn i boot from floppy and then i get a command propmpt A:\>,but i type FDISK and nothing happens,ive even downloaded fdisk onto a floppy and tried to install it,i really messed up and would like someones help please on how and what to do possibly step by step.Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:02 PM

Enter the bios at boot and change the boot order so that the cd drive is the first to boot. Load the 95 disk and update to 98 later. Should work.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:37 PM

You can download a boot disk from here:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/flop...htm#boot_floppy
Follow the instructions, download it to your Desktop then double click and it will create a boot floppy.

How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or Repartition a Hard Disk
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q255867/

This walk through on how to fdisk and format hard drive assumes you are installing Windows 9X or WinME.
http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/fdisk-format.html

#4 peterpete

peterpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:47 PM

thanx for the help i was able to get fdisk to work then loaded windows 98 turned out i didnt have the right 98 windows boot disk

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:05 AM

thanx for the help i was able to get fdisk to work then loaded windows 98 turned out i didnt have the right 98 windows boot disk

You're Welcome
Glad you're back up & running.
Thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users