Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What ram do i need

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 grassy

grassy

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

I am about to order my parts for my dream computer and am using the Rampage 4 extreme motherboard and want the best available ram for it and wish to run 64 gig if it is possible.The computer will be used for gaming and also video editing and home theatre use on some occasions. Is corsair the way to go. i am willing to spend the money on plenty of ram.The 2 video cards are nvidia gtx 680. I definately want the best for this particular build. i am looking at the corsair dominator range. Is there a better way to go?

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ken.erwin88

ken.erwin88

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

Grassy,

While 64GB is extreme overkill for even a dream PC, it is definitely possible with that motherboard. When trying to figure out what type of RAM I'm going to purchase, I usually use Crucial's database. Here is a link with information on your motherboard http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Rampage%20IV%20Extreme&Cat=RAM

You have 8 slots, each of which can have up to 8GB of DD3 RAM for a total of 64GB. Brand doesn't matter so much, Corsair and Crucial are both great. I would check Newegg.com if you haven't already, for PC3-14900 DD3 RAM. Make SURE you don't accidently buy ECC, it's a terrible feeling when you realize you remembered to match everything perfectly only to miss that detail.

I am assuming based on your question that you know quite a bit already (I would love to build that computer), but just in case you don't, make SURE you use a 64bit OS. Otherwise you won't get to use all of that power.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

-Kenny

#3 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

G.Skill to the rescue, but they aint cheap G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) $799.99
When they are in stock get these G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) $949.99

#4 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

Grassy,

While 64GB is extreme overkill for even a dream PC, it is definitely possible with that motherboard. When trying to figure out what type of RAM I'm going to purchase, I usually use Crucial's database. Here is a link with information on your motherboard http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Rampage%20IV%20Extreme&Cat=RAM

You have 8 slots, each of which can have up to 8GB of DD3 RAM for a total of 64GB. Brand doesn't matter so much, Corsair and Crucial are both great. I would check Newegg.com if you haven't already, for PC3-14900 DD3 RAM. Make SURE you don't accidently buy ECC, it's a terrible feeling when you realize you remembered to match everything perfectly only to miss that detail.

I am assuming based on your question that you know quite a bit already (I would love to build that computer), but just in case you don't, make SURE you use a 64bit OS. Otherwise you won't get to use all of that power.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

-Kenny

G'day kenny, i dont really know that much about computer builds or computer hardware for that matter.(hehe) i am mainly familiar with home theatre, as this computer thing is a first for me. What i am mainly doing is looking at what costs the most and is latest on the market. I have been looking and listening to other peoples ideas and picking thier knowelege which far out weighs my own when it comes to computers.I also have been on youtube a lot. Do i have to cover the whole 8 slots on the board or is there a different layout to take as i am confused on that issue.Which is the best way to go about installing the 64 gig which will work best for this setup.. Sorry for the novice questions.I will take a look at your link, and by the way thanks for the response.Grassy

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

#5 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:35 AM

G.Skill to the rescue, but they aint cheap G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) $799.99
When they are in stock get these G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) $949.99

Thanks Diggi, i will definately check them out.Today Grassy

#6 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:23 AM

I am ordering my build parts which consist of 1 Ranpage 4 extreme motherboard , Inteli7 3960X 3.3 ghz 6 core processor, Corsair H100 CPU COOLER, Corsair dominator GT DHX pro connector -1.65v 8GB Quad channel DDR3 memory kit up to 64 gig, windows 7 64 bit pro, 2 nvidea gtx 680 video cards, Asus Xonar Xense with head set sound card with 7.1 coaxial connection to my avpa1hda processor for home theatre gaming.Corsair AX1200 atx Power supply 80 plus gold certified, Western digital 3.5 inch 2Tb black sata hard drive, Western digital 500GB hard drive, Pioneer bluray burner with softwre, Pioneer dvd burner, Logitech G510 gaming keyboard, Logitech G500 gaming mouse, and a thermaltake gt 10 snow edition case which i already have. As soon as i get this up and running i will post some pics.I am pretty excited as this computer will cover all my video editing and gaming and even home theatre gaming needs.I have been told i can witness the computer build and will be there when it is installed. Regards Grassy

Edited by grassy, 27 April 2012 - 02:51 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

<<As soon as i get this up and running i will post some pics.>>

We have a forum where members can post photos of any type (within the rules): Photo Albums, Images and Videos , "Have you found something on the Internet which must be shared? Hilarious, interesting, thought provoking, or just plain weird things go here."

I know that some hardware/computer forums encourage members to post pics and pride themselves on their systems...but I don't believe that this hardware forum works that way. Attempting to problem-solve, advise, make constructive suggestions...is the focus here.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 April 2012 - 01:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users