Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinions? Weird intermitant computer problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tofucube

Tofucube

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

I'm having a odd problem with my computer and I dont have the extra hardware laying around to troubleshoot by just removing parts. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I can narrow down whats going on futher.

Sometimes I turn on the computer and it wont post, othertimes I turn it on and it runs fine, othertimes I get to the windows logon screen and after I enter the password it goes is a black screen and the desktop never shows up.
Sometimes when the computer wont post it will get stuck in a cycle of not posting so restarts dont help. However, if i pull one of my two sticks of ram from the system (doesn't matter which stick or which dimm the ram is in) then the computer starts up no problem. I would call this a straight up ram problem as a result, but when i put the stick back in and restart after a good start up, the computer works fine. I've also run memtest on my ram overnight and didn't come back with a single error.

If i keep my computer on after a good start-up, it will run fine indefinately. I've kept it on the last few weeks with no problems. If the computer restarts on its own because of a update or something, it restarts fine. There only seems to be a problem when the computer gets shut down for awhile. Then it seems random how its going to handle me pressing the power button.

I've tried a bunch of repairs ranging from windows repairs and bios reinstalls. I've adjusted ram voltage which seemed to add ssome extra stability but i'm still dealing with odd problems. On another site i asked people seemed to think this was either a psu or motherboard problem. I would just rather not have to go out and buy a PSU just to test if it's a psu problem if i can avoid it.

Anyone have some suggestions on figuring this out.

My specs
Windows 7 64 bit
Core 2 quad Q9400
ASUS P5Q-pro mobo
4 gigs of g skill ram - F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
western digital 1 terrabyte green hard drive
let me know if you need any other specs.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Have you run hard drive diagnostics? At least chkdsk /r?
If there is a lot stored on the hard drive, remove any/everything possible and run disk defrag as well.

Jobe

Edited by bludgard, 24 April 2012 - 07:36 PM.

#3 Tofucube

Tofucube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

I did not. The majority of my problems seemed to take place before my computer's boot up would even start looking to the hard drive. I'm happy to do it but i never thought it relevant. I can run chkdsk unless you have another diagnostic tool to suggest.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD) can be found here; among other hard drive specific utilities. (Please double-check that the tool is appropriate to your HDD).
If you want, navigate to Event Viewer > Application and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics-Performance > Operational. Right-click Operational > Save All Events As...*filename*.evtx. Post a link to the file and I will try to see if I can find the bottle-necking.
I appologize for the curt replies; the missus is gettin' on my nerves.... :wacko:

#5 Tofucube

Tofucube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

Sorry for the slow response, but its finals time.

link to the event file
http://www.mediafire.com/?3v3zcbgpfw6ab5w

I'll test the hard drive tonight.

Thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users