Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First time build, hardware compatibility check/concerns

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nick779

nick779

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: within a month probably

Budget Range: $1000-1250 before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming then internet use in general

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: None anymore

Overclocking: probably, with that i5 if i can hit 3.8-4.0ghz ill be happy (new to OCing too)

SLI or Crossfire: eventually, but not right now

Monitor Resolution: whatever the highest supported resolution the monitor i selected supports

Hey everyone, i'm in the market to build my first desktop pc since my now 1 year old laptop is getting outdated faster then i expected, and ive used it as a desktop replacement for far too long.

im rather familiar with windows and the software side of things, but ive always had a laptop, my modding extent consisted of adding ram and cleaning the fans in my alienware area 51 m5500.

my goal, is to build a decent gaming computer that is faster then my current laptop that ill be able to upgrade down the road, and will be able to let me play games like battlefield 3 on medium-high, and the pc must be reliable, i dont want to take a chance with components

(current laptop is a HP dv7t quad edition with a i7-2630 with an ATI 6770 and 8gb ram and a 750gb hdd)

Being as ive never built a desktop pc, ive been doing some reading and bought pc mags build your own gaming pc issue. and i picked some parts from it, but i do not know how compatible or reliable the components ive chosen are and am basing most of it by price and ratings on newegg since they carry everything ill need.

budget: around $1250

Parts:

Nzxt Phantom Case $130
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti picked this brand based on ratings on price, and can go SLI later down the road
Corsair Vengeance 8gb 8gb should be plenty for now right? i can always get a second set down the road to up it to 16gb right?
MSI Z68A-GD55 Motherboard i understand the specs, but i dont know what the best choice is for me
i5-2500k picked because of price, and ive read they overclock well
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Corsair 750TX 750W
ASUS vw224u 22inch lcd

the only other things i have on my list are an anti static wrist strap and a small tube of arctic silver 5

Now i know im over budget with all of this, but i forgot to include the monitor. I intend on recycling my logitech g5 mouse, my ideazon zboard, and my m-audio av40 speakers and using them in this setup.

Here are my concerns:

#1 the Motherboard, I understand the specs and the board is socketed for the i5 and supports SLI and my video cards if i read its specs right, but it it an okay MB or is there a better option out there for the price?

#2 if i overclock the i5 to around 3.8ghz, it should serve me well for a while right?

Will all this work well together? Any suggestions on hardware or tips for a first time builder?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Overclocking will work, but you will most likely shorten its lifespan. That monitor is also not 1080p. For gaming, I would shift my focus to a higher-end GPU and perhaps scale back the CPU. Here's an idea:

Case: LIAN LI K60B - A standard mid-ATX case that can handle most graphics cards. $59

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ - This is a higher-end motherboard designed for gamers and enthusiasts designed for AM3+ CPU's. This allows for both Crossfire and SLI. $184

CPU: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz - In most games, this is roughly equal to an Intel 2500k. This is a good CPU, but it uses a fairly radical design blending two independent cores together while having them share certain initial stages and cache. The end result is similar to an AMD version of Intel's HyperThreading that handles highly parallel applications very well. The downside is that although the CPU can overclock quite well, its power consumption goes up by quite a bit. $189

Heatsink and Fan: XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm - Although Intel and AMD include a capable cooler in the box, they aren't that good. This is a quiet and efficient cooler at a good price. Look up how to apply thermal paste to an HDT cooler before you install it as the traditional "Dot-in-the-middle" method isn't quite as effective with HDT. $29

GPU: HIS H785F2G2M Radeon HD 7850 2GB - This is a solid mid-range GPU that can handle most games very well. The 7850 hovers between a GTX 560 and 570. The ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5 Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB is an even higher-end card. $239

PSU: ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENM750AWT 750W - This should be more than enough for what you're doing. $129

RAM: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - 8GB is more than enough for most gamers. If you're doing some hardcore rendering, you may want more. $69

HDD: Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB - This should be enough. If you have another data drive you can use, you can supplement it with an SSD like the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB. $79

ODD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - A basic drive is all you need. $18

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - You need this. $99

Monitor: ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5" 5ms (GTG) HDMI IPS-Panel LED - This is an IPS monitor at a good refresh rate. I prefer IPS monitors over traditional TN becuase of visual quality. This is a 1080p monitor with HDMI. With all games, your maximum framerate is limited by your monitor's refresh rate, in this case, it is a standard 60 Hz. Your computer may put out more than 60 FPS but with VSync, you won't notice it. That is, unless you specifically turn it off in-game. Once you go past your monitors refresh rate, you risk screen tearing. $164

Grand Total: $1,267 (Before taxes rebates and shipping)

3939.png

#3 nick779

nick779
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

i really appreciate that well put together post.

I should have mentioned id like to stick with intel for the processor and am open to suggestions on the video card and the motherboard. for now would the 560ti be a good choice? because later this year ill probably buy another one and go SLI with it.

Ive decided on going with the cheaper 500gb drive, im not used to being able to just add another one when i need more space
samsung spinpoint 500gb

im also changing the case, the full size phantom was slightly too big, but i want the toolless drive bays and am choosing this case:
Mid Tower atx phantom

the price is the same between the PSUs you and i chose, whats the difference between the two? and will they fit in this mid tower case?

is there a better motherboard for my money and will it fit in the mid tower case because thats the one area im clueless with.

will i really notice a huge difference between the 1050p and the 1080 ips panel? because ive been playing on a laptop that has a 1600x900p screen, and im pretty happy with it.
actually, newegg has a nice deal on a 1080p monitor, its not an ips panel, but for the price ($129) what do you think of this one?

Edited by nick779, 24 April 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#4 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Your build looks good aside from the Monitor like DJBPace said
Consider either of these two cases, they look similar to the NZXT that you like

#5 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Overclocking will work, but you will most likely shorten its lifespan. That monitor is also not 1080p. For gaming, I would shift my focus to a higher-end GPU and perhaps scale back the CPU. Here's an idea:

Case: LIAN LI K60B - A standard mid-ATX case that can handle most graphics cards. $59

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ - This is a higher-end motherboard designed for gamers and enthusiasts designed for AM3+ CPU's. This allows for both Crossfire and SLI. $184

CPU: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz - In most games, this is roughly equal to an Intel 2500k. This is a good CPU, but it uses a fairly radical design blending two independent cores together while having them share certain initial stages and cache. The end result is similar to an AMD version of Intel's HyperThreading that handles highly parallel applications very well. The downside is that although the CPU can overclock quite well, its power consumption goes up by quite a bit. $189

Heatsink and Fan: XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm - Although Intel and AMD include a capable cooler in the box, they aren't that good. This is a quiet and efficient cooler at a good price. Look up how to apply thermal paste to an HDT cooler before you install it as the traditional "Dot-in-the-middle" method isn't quite as effective with HDT. $29

GPU: HIS H785F2G2M Radeon HD 7850 2GB - This is a solid mid-range GPU that can handle most games very well. The 7850 hovers between a GTX 560 and 570. The ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5 Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB is an even higher-end card. $239

PSU: ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENM750AWT 750W - This should be more than enough for what you're doing. $129

RAM: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - 8GB is more than enough for most gamers. If you're doing some hardcore rendering, you may want more. $69

HDD: Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB - This should be enough. If you have another data drive you can use, you can supplement it with an SSD like the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB. $79

ODD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - A basic drive is all you need. $18

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - You need this. $99

Monitor: ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5" 5ms (GTG) HDMI IPS-Panel LED - This is an IPS monitor at a good refresh rate. I prefer IPS monitors over traditional TN becuase of visual quality. This is a 1080p monitor with HDMI. With all games, your maximum framerate is limited by your monitor's refresh rate, in this case, it is a standard 60 Hz. Your computer may put out more than 60 FPS but with VSync, you won't notice it. That is, unless you specifically turn it off in-game. Once you go past your monitors refresh rate, you risk screen tearing. $164

Grand Total: $1,267 (Before taxes rebates and shipping)

Will the ASUS VS229H-P not having a display port put it at a disadvantage down the road? What about wrt to thunderbolt?

#6 nick779

nick779
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

just watched a youtube video showing the difference between an ips panel and a tn, and needless to say im getting the ips monitor now

as it stands my total is $1294

are there any odds and ends i may need other then thermal paste and hand tools?

any opinions on my mb?

Edited by nick779, 24 April 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#7 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

Your Mainboard looks good but I think this is better MSI Z77A-GD55 $150

Another Option is MSI Z77A-G45 $140

Don't forget anti static wrist strap( you can get a pad too) maybe some nitrile gloves while you are at it.
And best practice is to assemble on tile or wood floor as opposed to carpet due to static generation.

#8 nick779

nick779
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

Your Mainboard looks good but I think this is better MSI Z77A-GD55 $150

Another Option is MSI Z77A-G45 $140

Don't forget anti static wrist strap( you can get a pad too) maybe some nitrile gloves while you are at it.
And best practice is to assemble on tile or wood floor as opposed to carpet due to static generation.

i think im going to switch to the z77-gd55 board, its newer, and cheaper with basically the same specs, besides some different lan and audio chipsets.

and i have an anti static wrist strap on my list, it also figures i have little to zero hardwood spaces in my house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users