Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overrun With Popups And Adware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Yeatts

Yeatts

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:30 AM

Okay, here's the short of it. Somehow last week my computer picked up SpyFalcon and needless to say, my computer started going crazy. I read some posts and got the SpyFalcon removed, but now I'm getting popups and ads coming up on my computer every minute or so. I've tried running Ad-aware and Spybot, along with my Symantic Antivirus, but they don't pick anything up. Any ideas on how to cut out all the junk ads and popups and then keep my computer safer in the future. I'm running XP and we have DSL through Verizon.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:54 AM

Try doing your scans in SAFE MODE.

Download and scan with Ewido Anti-Malware v3.5
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions

Perform the following online Virus scans:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component]

Trend Micro Housecall Scan for Internet Explorer
Panda ActiveScan
Note: Panda does not remove adware/spyware but will autoclean for viruses & worms.

Download and scan with CCleaner
1. Starting with v1.27.260, CCleaner installs the Yahoo Toolbar as an option which IS checkmarked by default during the installation. IF you do NOT want it, REMOVE the checkmark when provided with the option OR download the toolbarfree Basic version instead of the Standard Build.

2. Before first use, select Options > Advanced and UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
3. Then select the items you wish to clean up.

In the Windows Tab:
Clean all entries in the "Internet Explorer" section except Cookies.
Clean all the entries in the "Windows Explorer" section.
Clean all entries in the "System" section.
Clean all entries in the "Advanced" section.
Clean any others that you choose.

In the Applications Tab:
Clean all except cookies in the Firefox/Mozilla section if you use it.
Clean all in the Opera section if you use it.
Clean Sun Java in the Internet Section.
Clean any others that you choose.

4. Click the "Run Cleaner" button.
5. A pop up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system.
6. Click "OK" and it will scan and clean your system.
7. Click "exit" when done.

If you still have problems then I suggest you read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.

It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have not been replied as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 vika

vika

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:56 AM

You might have either a PROGRAM or a VIRUS installed on your computer that could be causing the parasite infection in your system.

Please try the instructions below, they might help you fixing your problem.

Please MAKE SURE you have an updated anti-virus software running and re-scan your system.

The information below will give you directions to find the cause of the parasite infection. Once you find the cause of infection, you will be able to eliminate it.

Do you have any program that you do not use or that you cannot identify or freeware, shareware, or file-sharing programs (example: Screensavers Programs, Search Bars, Kazaa, Limewire, Morpheus, iMesh, etc.)? Most freeware, shareware, Free Screensavers, Search Bars and file-sharing programs have spyware built into their programs. One of the reasons you may still be getting popups is because you have these programs and need to uninstall/remove these programs from your computer.

It is also a must to clean up your browser every time after removing parasites using anti-spyware program.

To Clean up you browser, if you use Internet Explorer, click the tools menu, and then click the internet options menu item. Change the homepage to whatever you want the default page to be (ie www.google.com). Click delete cookies, delete [cache] files, and delete history. Click apply. You may also want to increase the security settings on your browser to block potential spyware and adware as you browse the internet. Click the Security tab, and customize the settings so that it prompts you before saving files and installing programs to your computer. You don't have to disable them, or change them all, but I recommend you set all ActiveX type things at least to prompts, since ActiveX tends to take the most liberties if you enable it. With a high security setting on your browser, you may lose the functionality of some sites, so it is recommend that you adjust it to suit your needs.

Also, it's a must to go into your control panel, select add/remove programs, and uninstall any programs that you don't recognize or don't use. You may have to go into safe mode to delete some of these.

Even with all this, I recommend running anti-spyware tool at least once a month to ensure that your computer is clean of spyware and addware. If you don't want to remove any file sharing programs or change your browser setting, I recommend running anti-spyware tool more often, say every time you start the computer. Note that before downloading or buying an anti-spyware tools check if it is NOT included to anti-spyware tools blacklist.

Also remember that there is not such thing as a free product. If you download a free product onto your machine you are going to pay for it somehow and usually you'll get massive annoying advertisement or you'll have your machine damaged for a program that was not fully tested.

Edited by Papakid, 20 March 2006 - 04:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users