Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista blues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 big oz

big oz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

hi,can anyone help,my vista pc wont start up ive tried to open with all the safe modes but getting nowhere fast

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

Hello :welcome: To BleepingComputer.

Please post your system specs such as manufacture and model number. Also any thing happen that may have lead to this issue?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 big oz

big oz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

hi,its around 4yrs old compaq windows basic model SG3100UK,prod# GS341AA-ABU,S/N CNX74117K5,it has a product key on the side of the unit and Mod Edit: Removed key data ~ Hamluis.

Its also had a new hard drive fitted 2yrs ago and a new disc drive about 1yr ago,nothing strange happened before this,my avg picked up a virus about a week before but sorted it out,tried to download a repair disc but not sure what am doing ????????.thanks

Edited by hamluis, 25 April 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

my vista pc wont start up ive tried to open with all the safe modes but getting nowhere fast

Hello big oz,

• Can you provide more detail on "won't start up." How far does it get?
  • Does the computer fully load into Safe Mode?
  • When attempting "Safe Mode" did you also try "Last Known Good Configuration"? If not, please attempt that.
  • If you can access the "Safe Mode" menu, do you have a "Repair My Computer" option?
  • What "Repair Disk" did you download?

Regards,
Brooks

#5 big oz

big oz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

hi,it gets as far as the microsoft corp load screen but just keeps loading,in the safe modes it sticks on the loading driver page,also tried all the other modes but nothing happens,i dont see a "repair my com" option,not sure of the repair disc i tried but nothing happened when i put it in,can you recomend anything.thanks

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Its also had a new hard drive fitted 2yrs ago

Trying to assess your options (more questions):

The original hard drive no doubt had a hidden restore partition. Was the new hard drive 2 years ago purchased from Compaq? If not, how did you re-install Microsoft Vista on the newer drive?

Did you make the System Recovery DVDs when the computer was new or do you have a retail Windows Vista Installation DVD?

While attempting to run in Safe Mode, what is the name of the last file loaded? Let it attempt to load in safe mode for an hour or more. Sometimes it eventually works.

Edited by Artrooks, 26 April 2012 - 02:46 PM.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 big oz

big oz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

hi mate,the new hard drive was fitted in a repair shop so am not sure where they got it from,i have no recovery disc's atall for this pc,in safe mode the last file to load is = loaded;/windows/system32/AVGIDSEN.SYS,ive left it on for 5hrs now but still nothing,ive also tried F1 up to F12 then enter but just takes me to the microsoft corp page where it looks like its loading up but again after a while nothing,thank you for trying to help me

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hi big oz,

AVGIDSEN.SYS is an AVG Anti-Virus file and may be stopping your system from starting. Follow the directions below to create a bootable Rescue CD. This will serve two purposes. One, allow you to backup any important documents, photos, etc that might be on your computer to a USB flash drive and two, disable AVG.

Follow this link: http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=94159.

• Click on the images at the bottom for reference, then print out the instructions so you have them available for later.
  • Click AVG Rescue CD link, then click Download Rescue CD (for CD creation).
  • Most CD/DVD burning programs are capable of "burning the "AVG_iso" to cd," but if you are not sure how to, then follow the steps below.
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • During installation you may want to uncheck the box to add the Ask Toolbar.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "AVG_xxx_ISO" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start" Posted Image the burning process.
  • Boot your computer with the AVG Rescue CD, making sure to boot first from CDROM Drive.
  • Once you've accessed File Manager, "Midnight Commander," locate your Documents (Users-><your UserName>->My Documents) folder and copy any important files to a UBS Flash drive.
  • Next, follow the printed instructions to rename the AVG driver files; (i.e. - each from AVGxxx.sys to AVGxxx.bak).
  • Restart the computer and try to boot into normal windows.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users