Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card & Event ID 1000 Error code 0xc0000005

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PrplPplEater

PrplPplEater

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

Dear Interwebs,

I have been suffering from intermittent "Access Violation" errors since I built the comp many months ago. Every time I've tried to sort it out I've given up in frustration, as other peoples fixes don't seem to work.

My System

OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120305-1505)
MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme6
Processor: Intel i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8GB RAM (2x 4GB Gskill
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB

DxDiag Attached.

The problem:

• Applications freeze but I am still able to ctrl alt del and switch to other running programs.
  • Applications are almost always games though media programs are also problematic. (VLC, Shogun 2, Mount & Blade warband, NS2 Beta etc.)
  • Event Viewer shows an app error Event ID 1000
    eg. Faulting application name: Shogun2.exe, version: 1.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e8f1284
    Faulting module name: Shogun2.dll, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e8f11ec
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x005a46fd
    Faulting process id: 0x1028
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cc8ba701642c21
    Faulting application path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\Shogun2.exe
    Faulting module path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\Shogun2.dll
    Report Id: c0ca1da3-f79a-11e0-a47f-002522b03168
  • Possibly related: I often get graphical anomalies in games.

Steps I've taken

Googleing the problem and posting on the forums of the games that crash has left me frustrated. But it does mean I have done things that may help rule out causes.

• Ran memtest86+ 0 errors (total of 17 passes now)
  • Scanned comp with Malwarebytes (nothing)
  • Scanned with Avast (nothing)
  • Reinstalled/Updated drivers (of pretty much everything on my comp)
  • Rolled back video drivers to a couple of previous versions
  • Turned off DEP via control panel
  • And reluctantly ran a reg cleaner

Most suggestions seem to be aimed at addressing the following possible causes

Bad RAM
Incorrect or corrupted drivers
Corrupt registry entry
Malware or adware
DEP

I have been wondering whether my video card could be a possible cause. I haven't been able to find a program to test video memory (Is it even possible?). I tried 'Video memory stress test' (Which reported that it couldn't test my video card).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

- Prpl

Attached Files

Edited by PrplPplEater, 24 April 2012 - 04:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

Applications are almost always games though media programs are also problematic

That's definitely an indication of a GPU related problem. Too bad the mobo doesn't have onboard graphics which could have been used for testing purposes (w/o card).

I'm afraid you'll need to get hold of another card to insert into your system and check its stability. Or the other way round: checking the video card on another system.

Code side of things, you could try updating the video card's driver and BIOS to the latest version. Yes, the video card's BIOS.

(or)

you could simply carry out a fresh install of Windows, followed by the installation of the drivers. Should you see the same problem again, it would have to be the video card.

BAD system memory (RAM) would generally result in having trouble starting up your system, which isn't the case here.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 24 April 2012 - 06:31 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 PrplPplEater

PrplPplEater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

Thanks heaps :)

When you say check it's stability. Do you mean try playing games untill a crash occurs or are there programs I can run to check if the video card is faulty?

I'll def give your suggestions a go.

Edited by PrplPplEater, 24 April 2012 - 06:40 AM.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

Indeed. Anything and everything that would use the GPU: Movies, games, online videos etc.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users