Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashes intermittently on YouTube videos

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 D.Mary

D.Mary

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

I just recently had help from Gringo to fix a malware attack, and I felt like I was squared away. Since then I have updated Java, my chipset drivers and video card drivers, so I would have thought that everything would be working perfectly. One thing I did learn from that experience, however, was that there are excellent sites out there like bleeping computer who really do help. So if anyone has any ideas what could be causing this, I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks in advance,

David.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

Does it also crash when you play games and watch movies on your PC?

Or only when you watch online videos?

If the former, you definitely need to have your video card checked, perhaps on a different system. Also make sure your Power supply is adequate for the card.

The latter: Could be Adobe Flash related. Not installed properly or hardware acceleration option enabled/malfunctioning.

Can't say much at this stage.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 D.Mary

D.Mary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

It happens when watching YouTube only. In fact, I tested it out by watching a video on Dailymotion, and it happened there too. I get the blue screen and it does a memory dump, before rebooting. It never happened until recently. My power supply is brand new and is a 630 W Rosewill. I have had it for maybe a month, and this problem has only crept up in the last two or three days.

I was under the impression that Flash is automatically updated in Chrome, which is my browser of choice. But I tried Netscape to see what would happen and the crash occurred there as well.

The blue screen is not always what I get either. Sometimes the crash is merely a freeze that does not allow me to do anything at all. I will retain mouse cursor movement, usually up until a certain point at which the computer beeps and everything is locked, even the mouse cursor.

#4 D.Mary

D.Mary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Is there a tool of some kind that I can download and run to produce a report or something?

#5 D.Mary

D.Mary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

Never mind. I am pretty sure I fixed it. I disabled hardware acceleration on Flash content. Problem seems to be gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users