Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is a free partition editor?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lanzd

lanzd

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

I currently have a 1tb HDD with a 250gb partition with windows 7 and want to increase the size to 475gb. I don't know what type of partitions are currently on the HDD. I also think there is something going on with the way my partitions are set up, but that is something else.

I just need to know a partition editor (preferably free) that I can use on windows 7 for me to see what I have set up and what is being used to boot up my computer first.

When I set the first boot device to my HDD it doesn't boot up properly unless I hit f12 before it boots. So I think its using the wrong partition for boot by default.

Thanks, Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

For your first part of your question - >>I just need to know a partition editor (preferably free) that I can use on windows 7<<

Free Partition Magic, MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-partition-manager.htm#Quick_Selection_Guide -Best Free Partition Manager

Hi Dan -
A couple of free ones I just found - Not exactly sure if these are what you want , but .........

Let us know -

#3 lanzd

lanzd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

All right, I downloaded the minitool partition manager and was successfully able to resize my windows partition. Now how can I tell which partition is my Master Boot Record? I think my issue with my computer booting up incorrectly has to do with that. Also, if all I have on my HDD is my 450GB windows installation, what other types of partitions should I have other than unallocated? Just the Master boot record, correct?

Attached is a screen shot of my partition setup.

Thank you for your help

PS (it's past midnight so I won't be able to post back until after work tomorrow)

Attached Files

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hi -
Sorry but I can not give you any other info on the program, but I would say that you Must read all the program details -

The people that make this are your best option for more information ---

Thank You -

#5 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

Both Vista and Windows 7 include a built-in partition editor. Third party tools are completely unnecessary.

Instructions for using it here: Resize a partition in Windows 7 or Vista

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

Hi,

See if this link provides any additional information: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2011/05/31/installing-windows-7-on-uefi-based-computer.aspx

Regards,
Brooks

#7 lanzd

lanzd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

All right, I'll take a look at the links you guys gave me. I just popped on to check and see if there were any relies, so I'll have to get to it when I get home.

Thanks to you all, I'll keep you updated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users