Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

s.m.a.r.t. hdd trojan attack

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bimfiu

bimfiu

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Yesterday I was attacked by the s.m.a.r.t. trojan which has "hijacked" my files and hid them. I have followed the recommendation from Microsoft Answers, Security Essentials (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_scanning/smart-check-suddenly-came-up-on-my-computer-with/3ecb4a14-6193-47a2-9ddc-7a15ec4e4486), but it is not working. I got my desktop icons to show up but the screen is still black and I cannot see anything when I click the start button. It was suggested that I open up a new window in task manager, but when I click on Task Manager it reverts back to the fake virus scanner (S.M.A.R.T. HDD). I typed in "cmd" on the search bar, which opened up a dos prompt. I then proceeded to type in the following:
CD/ then hit enter
ATTRIB -H -R -S /S /D then hit enter
The prompt began to scroll through numerous files rapidly, but each line was preceeded by "access denied". So, when it finished, nothing was accomplished, as far as I know. I have not rebooted the PC yet. Any suggestion? I don't know if this was the incorrect thing to do, but, before I entered those dos commands I ran a copy of Windows Defender Offline Beta from disk. It said that it removed numerous trojans, but I fear that it only angered it. I will probably reformat my c:\ drive, b ut i want to gbet some files off of it prior to doing so. Please help if possible. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bimfiu

bimfiu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

I apologize for not realizing that the link referred to bleeping computer's page. I actually followed and downloaded the file to unhide my files, and it worked!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Now I need to clean up my hard drive and reformat. Thanks, again!

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,079 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Good to hear it

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe/.scr/.htm/.html/.xml/.zip/.rar files as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users