Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent internet connection with WPA

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 geekonoba

geekonoba

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hello everyone! I am having a problem with my internet connection failing (network cable unplugged error) every couple of minutes (which then comes back online after a couple of minutes). This only started happening after I turned on WPA encryption for my network. When I have no encryption selected the internet connection functions normally. I am using a D-Link WBR-2310 wireless router which has a wired connection to my HP DC5100 desktop which is running Windows XP ( I do not have any wireless card in this computer). We also have a Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista and a Dell laptop running Windows 7. As i said, when no encryption is selected the internet connection on all three of them function normally. But when I turn on WPA encryption the internet connection fails intermittently on all three computers. When the internet connection is on and working all three computers can access the web and surf the web, but within a few minutes the internet connection fails and after a couple of minutes restarts by itself. I have been running this network for a couple of years with no problem but decided to turn the encryption on and apparently the encryption conflicts with something. Any help with resolving this would be appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

I would first try a firmware upgrade... there is a revision model of your WBR-2310, so check the bottom of your router to see which one you need:

WBR-2310, or..
WBR-2310_REVB

Download the latest firmware and you can apply it by going into your router settings.

Note: Do this from a WIRED connection. This will reset all your router settings, including your router login, to default. Setup your WPA again and let us know :thumbup2:

Default IP address: 192.168.0.1
Default admin username: admin
Default admin password: <blank>

Edited by kisk, 23 April 2012 - 06:55 PM.

Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

<<I am using a D-Link WBR-2310 wireless router which has a wired connection to my HP DC5100 desktop which is running Windows XP ( I do not have any wireless card in this computer).>>

I don't know much about wireless...but I don't think that you employ WPA unless you do know that you don't employ WPA when you are not sending out wireless signals. If you have a LAN cable connected to one of your ports...I don't think the wireless aspect of this router comes into play.

Louis

#4 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

If you have a LAN cable connected to one of your ports...I don't think the wireless aspect of this router comes into play.

It does, both connections (wired & wireless) exist together by default.
Posted Image

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

:thumbsup:, thanks, kisk :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users