Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NEW PC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

HI,I believe i will new PC today,is there somethings i need to do before hooking up to internet
The M/S firewall is probally the first thing to do,i understand SPYWAREBLASTER IS a good download. I went thru all of the posts about protection is there some kind of consenus on what
product works for members. I know that some work different problems then others.
Also can i use my DVD burner to download different products and can i put them all on one DVD
THANK'S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

Hooray ----- :)

I hope this means your old problems are now gone ---
The first thing is to check what Antivirus program is installed - SPYWAREBLASTER is usually a secondary item to install -

<""Also can i use my DVD burner to download different products ?? and can i put them all on one DVD"" >
Note that you can only, generally put a certain amount of data on a DVD (or CD) - Do you know the capacity of the DVDs you are using ??
I have some DVDs that say 4.7GB Data on the pack, and some CDs that say 700MB (80 min play)
By "different products" do you mean Movies / Photos / or ?? I use CDs for music and I can put some pictures on them also -

Thank You -
EDIT _ Re SpywareBlaster and your Antivirus -
Q. Is it a good idea to run both SpywareBlaster and an antivirus program at the same time?

A. Yes. Anti-virus programs use certain methods to detect and block viruses and other malware. SpywareBlaster uses a number of completely different, and complementary, approaches to block the holes that spyware, adware, dialers, and other malware use to get into your system.

Edited by noknojon, 23 April 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

HI,noknojon,What i meant by different products is downloads from sites that make programs for viruses trojan's,malware on the same DVD disk,my disk are 4.7 recording disk,so i think i may
need DATA DISK'S is that right. Since this PC will be new to me is there an area where these
security programs will be if they are not on desktop i am going to assume they are in folders
in PC i have never had to look for before,any help in this area would be appreciated,THANK'S

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

Hi LOVEMYPC -
It sounds like this computer has no internet connection at the moment, is that right ??
By your saying 4.7GB it sounds like DVDs, but just for data programs, you can use CDs instead and they should be OK (and cheaper)

Make sure you buy "Spindle Packs" with 25 or 50 CDs or DVDs in each pack. Any less than that and you are paying way too much for them.
I usually buy 50s packs and also buy Paper Sleeves instead of plastic covers (except for important data/music/ etc.), and these I buy in 50s packs if needed -
You can also buy USB flash drives and download to these to transfer programs easily to another computer (dearer but you clean when finished and use again)

>>is there an area where these security programs will be if they are not on desktop i am going to assume they are in folders in PC<<
Most can be downloaded to Desktop, or My Documents, and sent to Desktop once opened -

Is this a newer XP system you have just got, or are you moving your stuff to another Operating System ?? Still a but vague on your statements -

Thanks -

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

HI,noknojon,Got PC up and running it is another e521 its got a whopping 512 MB of ram,but at least it is DDR2 so
should be a little cheaper increase. This PC was as a office machine the people that sold it to person that gave
it to me did do her any favors on the ram. It had AVG installed,MSE installed,do you see any reason not to install
Spywareblaster also,M/M firewall,virus turned on,THANK'S

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

It had AVG installed,MSE installed,do you see any reason not to install Spywareblaster also,M/M( ?? ) firewall,virus turned on,

Hi -
From that list, start with MSE and M/soft Firewall running only. You can only run one Antivirus -
Make sure that AVG is fully uninstalled. Uninstall Tool >> http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
Do you mean Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by your (M/M) - (MBAM usually) - That is OK -
SpywareBlaster is the last item to install, so you now have A/virus, F/wall, A/Malware, Adware Blocker -

Now check the "Programs Tree" and see if Windows Update is listed so you can check for missing updates -

With that very small amount of RAM, make sure all un-needed programs are removed, and if you download music, videos, etc, you should put them on CDs as soon as you can or this computer will slow down quickly -
EXTRA - See Here for 512 RAM, or Here for 1G RAM sticks -
512MB DDR2 PC4200 Dimension E521 Memory RAM Extra RAM sticks cost from $10 to $20 each
1Gb DDR 2 PC4200 533mhz Dimension E521 Memory RAM Sticks cost from $25 to $30 each -

Edited by noknojon, 24 April 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#7 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

HI,noknojon,I talked to the person that gave me the PC that they used a server so they did not need a lot of RAM,thank's
PS. On another note i was cleaning out my storage shed and found the RECOVERY DISK for the GATEWAY GT4010 do you think if i use it would
it bring it back to life,THANK'S

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

Hi LOVEMY -
I think that your new unit is a Dell™ Dimension™ E521 (is this correct) ??

If it is, then No, your Gateway® GT4010 CD will not do a restore - It is Maker Specific only -

Dell only uses its own repair CDs as some items are again Maker and Model specific -
Sorry -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic450649.html/page__view__findpost__p__2671214
Please read this topic posted by Artrooks, on how to create a Recovery CD, but select your version of XP (if not XP Pro)

Note that it is not specific to your problem, but I have created 2 of these CDs for Repair Installs only (a XP Pro and a XP Home version)

Just an idea if you have time to spare -
Please...run the Dell Diagnostics package, following instructions provided by Dell.

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&doclang=en&cs=

Edited by noknojon, 26 April 2012 - 05:04 AM.

#9 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

HI,noknojon,What i have is a restore disk for a GATEWAY GT4010 to use on the GT4010 not the DELL E521.
What i am hopping for is when i install the restore disk for the GT4010 that it allow me to hook up the
external HDD and download what's on HDD to it, a lot of the stuff that i am doing with this GT4010 is
learn the in's and out's of PC'S.THANK'S

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Got PC up and running it is another e521

I do not find a Gateway with the e521 model - Only a Dell™ Dimension E521 -
A restore CD for a Gateway GT4010 is no use on another makers computer, as it has its own programs and drivers that do not match -

It is like fitting a Ford motor to a Toyota car -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users