Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Recent Updates

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

I have noticed on all of my machines that after the recent (April 10th) MS Updates that the fans are running almost all the time. My desktop is an Asus K8V MB machine and has a quiet mode that used to keep it very quiet unless it really needed the fans to run hard. I noticed it there first but now I have been watching this (notebook) my net book and my laptop and they all seem to be running the fans harder.

I'm just going nutz right?

Sudsy
UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

Sudsy
Not Nutz at all,

however I haven't seen that myself. Have you brought up the taskmanager?
Ctrl + Alt + Del and select Task manager

Look to see what the CPU usage is. My Windows 7 for example idles around 1%
If your are running substantially higher than that when you are just sitting there then that could be a cause of more CPU heat and thus the fans running louder.

You can go to the Processes tab and click on the CPU tab to sort by CPU usage and see what is using the most cpu cycles.
Note: System Idle Process should be at 99% as it is a place holder for unused CPU cycles.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

Wll I just checked on this machine and the CPU usage is normal and processes are normal. I have not changed the way I use the machines and my indoor temp is within 1 degree of 72. It just seems that the fans are running more and loudly. Even when I cold start the machines the fans start and never seem to slow or stop. Machines are clean. I even dusted the CoolerMaster heat sink and fan on the desktop. It even has a CPU temp guage on front panel.

Can software cause the fans to run more. I know the system temps are monitored and I can even adjust the fans supply voltage on the desktop. (AMD64 3400 processor)
UFO pilot

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

Hi sudsy -

Not just a case of a clogged fan, maybe, that needs cleaning / blowing out ??

Just another idea -

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hi, Well that covered all the obvious things to check.

Software can change fans speed however I would not expect Microsoft software updates to change the fans speed.

I am not sure where to go from here. Hopefully someone else will come along with an idea.

If I think of anything else to check / try I'll be back with it.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

we update our 2 computer on the Apr 10th and the fans never started running faster

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hi

I'm sitting here with three desktops, two laptops and a netbook that had those updates and there is no change in their fans or temps (one is being monitored for a replaced GPU on 4/8 that was causing overheating so I'm especially watching fan speeds and temps on it).

Is there anything else that they have in common? A new utility or maybe or maybe the same antivirus that is running harder since a recent update?

James

#8 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

It's probably my imagination. The CPU usage is normal as is overall performance.
UFO pilot

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:55 AM

It's probably my imagination. .

or maybe the radio that was always on in the background stopped working ,lol

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#10 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

Are the system temps. fine? If you haven't really looked into it, please use HWMonitor to monitor it for a while.

There is absolutely no relation between the MS Update and the fans running at max.

Reasons why the fan would run at max:

High temperature and CPU consumption
Problem with the BIOS itself or a fan configuration in there (BIOS updates if any, may help)

And yes, programs like SpeedFAN and enthusiast apps. can aid in tweaking the fan speed.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 24 April 2012 - 05:50 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#11 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

Thanks but I really don't think there is a problem it must just be in my mind. The fact that four different machines appear to be doing the same thing (three different manufacturers) made me think it was something in the updates. I guess not. I have a CPU temp monitor and I have never seen it above 105deg F and that was when a friend came over last year and ran some test program to see how well my cooler master was working. (desktop) I keep the machines clean and dust free. The desktop is in a Raidmax case with lights and a window to see the internals.

This notebook is running at 40 deg C right now. The others are shut down.
UFO pilot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users