Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

instability problems, need advicce

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ray Hower

Ray Hower

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

alright, so this is whats going on. ive been working on this rig for months, i went through 4 motherboards 2 of them rma'd 3 dif types. a asus RIVE, a asrock extreme9 x79 and now an asus sabortooth x79. i replaced the video card once thinking it was osmething else, its 100% guarenteed working, i put in a new power supply, 1k watt 6 rail psu from OCZ. its an alright power supply i suppose. i put in a new blue ray drive when i did this build instead of only having the single dvd drive (big mistake) the problem appears to be with the blue ray drive and im unsure if its the sata drivers on asus mtoherboard, but both the RIVE and the sabortooth corupted windows with the blue ray, as well as a little mini ITX asus board i used also did the same coruption 90% of the time, ghot a clean install once. I also wnet through 3 OCZ hybrid ssd\hdd drives and eventualy refunded and went with 2 ssd's.

so thats whats happened. we're now running with this setup -

asus sabortooth x79
intel 3930k I7 2011 socket ( with the latest revision)
gskill jigsaw ddr3 quad channel (8 dimms) 32gb 4 gb sticks. 2133 something like that.
ocz 1k watt psu
evga gtx 570 ssc ftw
supose them the relevent parts

so, now this rig IS running and appears stable 90% of the time. but my USB hub's have been failing. heres what happens, if i leave it alone for a period, sometimes long, sometimes short. the mouse hub for the wirless mouse turns off, it doesnt wake back up. the keyboard has been knowen to do it, as well as any other usb device, including my phone, and gaming headset. i looked up the problem as its own symtom found a short in a usb can cause spuratic behavor accross the board on the usb bridge. so i diescontected my 2 headers, left the usb 3 header in as it was a much more solid wire and i felt it was less likley to have the short. the usb 3.0 ports never seem to work properly, especily with my mouse. cant say they never work, just...don't wanna.

problem 2 - the computer has been knowen to crash. here are the criteria of the crashes - high load genraly or extremley low load, like when sleeping. manualy putting to sleep and ocaisoanly when shuting down through windows it locks up, fans rev up and screen goes black. windows reports it as a blue scren but no image ever shows. than when it happens under load, no blue screen comes up, reported as a blue screen with same error on reboot i can see it in the log. I also have seen an error with my one ata controller, the marvell controller to be exact, windows once reported it as uncompatable i believ the sabortooth has 3 controllers, 2 6gb controllers, 1 that supports raid 0,1,5 and such, one that does not and a controller for the sata II 3gb\s. perhaps the two sets of sata III ports are on the same controler not sure. so i took anything off the second set of secondary sata III ports, used only my two ssd's on the port 1, and 0 which are the two main sata III 6gb\s ports. than i have 2 hot swap bays (coolermaster cosmos II tower) and an Esata plugged in and the dvd uses the last sata II port. so 6 in use in total, only 3 being used relaly.should also be noted i have a 40gb drive in one of the hot swap bays that never shows in windows but is registered and a working drive in the past FROM that hot swap bay so idk why it doesnt show up. but, i believe all these problems are controlled through the CPU directly, so i believe perhaps either a bio's instability or bad cpu. also note, that when i got the final and 4th motherbord, i got blue screens delcaring ram dump falures, i took out 4 dimms and currently am only running 4 of the origonal 8. ive ran ram tests on them in the past, but with all the swaping of gear who knows.

so, here it is short and sweet, computer freezes, usb hubs = unreliable and erratic behavior. decuss. i'm almost certain its either a CPU or ram, more likley cpu, but im thinking of just RMAIng both. but i wanted some input first. i havnt talked to asus, evga, gskill or intell about this yet at least this set of problems which appear to be unconnected to my origonal problem with the blue ray drive. (which is an LG, dont buy lg blue rays apparently bad idea tehe)

update - windows does crash 100% when computer turns off screen, one moniotr still detects a signal even when they go to turn them off, the other does not. moving mouse or keyboard does not make them reapare. falling asleep results in a complete crash, either one i can't come back from but when the monitors go to sleep only one turns off the other is black with a signal detected, not sure what that means. very odd problems here. ive never experienced things like it.

Edited by Ray Hower, 23 April 2012 - 08:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users