Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unstable C:\ drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ray911

Ray911

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

I was facing trouble with the free drive in my C:\ drive, eventhough, the cumulative occupied disk space was 63 GB( got it by selecting all folders and goin to properties) and total drive space was 73 GB; the drives free space would fluctuate from 23 mb to 500 and then something else.

At first I thought it was a virus, then it stopped fluctuating; however, everytime I deleted something its space got occupied and free disk space remained at 436 KB.

I went to C:\ drove properties and disabled indexing for C and all folders, subfolders etc. Now when I delete things I get the space and free disk space is stable but the 10 GB is still nowehere to be restored.

Can anyone help with this,
Thanks in advance,
Ray911.
Screw Malware & All Kinds of viruses using OUR BELOVED HJT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InuYasha

InuYasha

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Have you tried error checking on the drive?

Have you tried booting in safe mode just to be 100% sure it's not a virus or piece of malware?

Also, is this drive new to your computer? Did you recently hook it up?

Do you have more than one OS on the drive? (A dual-boot of Windows and Linux perhaps)? Any possibility that your Windows partition isn't using the entire drive space?

Hope this helps!

-Matthew
Posted Image

#3 Ray911

Ray911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Have you tried error checking on the drive?
Yes

Have you tried booting in safe mode just to be 100% sure it's not a virus or piece of malware?
No

Also, is this drive new to your computer? Did you recently hook it up?
No, its very old.

Do you have more than one OS on the drive? (A dual-boot of Windows and Linux perhaps)? Any possibility that your Windows partition isn't using the entire drive space?
No only 1 OS. How do I check my windows partition...

#4 InuYasha

InuYasha

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

Ok, first check the partition.

Click Start > Run and type compmgmt.msc and hit enter.

Now click on "Disk Management" in the sidebar. This should tell you how big the partition is and how much free space it has.

If the partition turns out to be smaller than the drive, post back here. We'll have to extend the partition using DiskPart.

If the partition is as big as it should be, then I suspect we should check if it's a virus by booting in Safe Mode and seeing the amount of free space there.

Also, we might want to try defragging the drive, or simply running Disk Cleanup.

If everything fails, it might just be too old of a drive, and you put up with it or buy a new one. (That is, unless someone smarter than me gives some brilliant life-saving advice that I didn't think of).
Posted Image

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

<<...occupied disk space was 63 GB( got it by selecting all folders and goin to properties) and total drive space was 73 GB; the drives free space would fluctuate from 23 mb to 500 and then something else.>>

That doesn't make sense. Total partition/drive size...minus unused space on partition/drive...yields free space on partition/drive.

One way to check:

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

The upper portion of the screen will dispaly all partitions/drives...free space...etc.

Disabling indexing was a good move, IMO...but it has nothing to do with disk space available. Disabling System Restore should yield more free disk space...but if you don't routinely make backups and rely on SR in case of trouble...do not disable SR.

Louis

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

If you didn't go into view and set it to show hidden as well as system files you won't see all the files and folders consuming space.

Try this. Go to the start menu
accessories
system tools
and run the Disk cleanup program

If you have system restore set to 10% it will be hidden space useage. in the 10% example up to 7.3GBs

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Ray911

Ray911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

OK, I checked dskmgmt.msc it seems to be the same as I mentioned earlier, eerything seems fine. I still didnt boot in safe mode though,

I disabled hide system files, and then selected all files to show occupied disk space; the total occupied shows 72.4 GB which explains the free space. Its two files hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys that are occupying 4.5 gigs alone. Plus, I checked system restore settings its set to 12% at 8999 MB; will reducing this immediately increase free disk space?

Edited by Ray911, 24 April 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

You need a larger or additional hard drive...or you need to move graphics, sound, video files to other media (CD, DVD, flash drive, etc.).

Turning off hibernation will yield some disk space...but it won't be enough to make a difference.

I don't use SR, so I can't answer any question re that.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 April 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

If System restore is using the entire 12% then changing it to 8% would free some space.

However You can also turn off system restore and then turn it back on and only have one System restore point. However Be very sure there will be no need to go back further in time if you do that since you will only have the currently created restore point.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

Sounds about right: System Restore seems to be taking a good chunk of space.
Why not start imaging the HDD (Disk/System image) and disabling SR altogether? Imaging - to me - has been both more reliable as well as more comprehensive (recover from malware or system failure without worry [with reliable imaging software, of course]).
If the HDD is that old, I would backup what matters and prepare for the day of hardware (HDD) failure and reinstalling the OS afresh to a new (maybe larger?) HDD or cloning the current drive to a new one (which will clone all errors as well).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users