Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating Comp....

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:47 AM

I think this is the right place to post this, as it's hardware that causes overheating (9 outta 10 times).

My comp started lagging the other day, so I scanned for virus's and whatnot and went to bed. Next morning I run some more scans really quick then head off to work. I get home that night and tinker with the comp some more and start browsing the internet and burned some DVD's, no lag at all, nothing. Later that night, I start playing a game (BF2) and about 5 miutes into it, it starts lagging horribly. It goes fine for a second, freezes for a second then fine then freeze and repeat continuously. So, I shut the game down and the comp is still lagging the same way. I start checking for trojans/virus's and whatnot, and after a few minutes it stops lagging. Hmmmm....so I start up BF2 again, and a few minutes into a game, it starts lagging again. I restarted the machine and checked the "PC Health status" in the settings (DEL on startup) and my cpu temp was 58c, and cooled to about 56c after a few mins of watching it. I start up Guild Wars and get to an area where there's a lot of ppl and start spinning the camera around (3D really works the VGA card) and it starts lagging again. The air coming out of the side fan of my case is warmer than usual when it starts to lag.

This has just started to happen, and actually, it started right after I installed a new DVD/RW drive (super multi burn LG). Oddly enough, my comp started lagging the first time I played a game when I installed that drive. The thing is is that I had to remove my old dvd/rw drive to put this one in, and it never lagged like that before. I have 2 exhaust fans, 1 80mm fan on the side and a 120mm fan in the back, and my radeon 95000pro has an aftermarket cooler (artic cooler that blows out the rear PCI slot) and my PS has 2 fans! Cooling has never been an issue before I put this DVD/RW drive in. The new dvd drive is set up as a slave to a cdrw drive (both drives work fine). I'll post my puter specs below.

Thanks in advance!

Intel Celeron 2.93 500mhz fsb
400W PSU w/dual fans
2gb ddr400 pc/3200 ram (2 each 1GB sticks)
Abit mobo w/latest bios updates
radeon 9500pro w/artic cooler and latest drivers (and directX 9)
cdrw (master)/dvdrw (slave)
200gb western digital hd
winxp pro
120mm rear case fan roughly 74 cfm airflow (exhaust)
80mm side case fan roughly 38 cfm airflow (exhaust)
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:08 AM

I would not think the DVD it's self would cause the lag, but software that came with it may be running in the back ground causing a reduction in system resources and hence lag.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:10 AM

The drive shouldn't be causing these problems for you. I'd hazard a guess that you may have knocked something loose or have obstructed something when installing the drive.

Also, that temp seems a bit high for a Celeron of that description (my P4 of the same FSB would run around 40 - 45 C)

Check to ensure that the CPU cooler is clean and firmly attached to the CPU and that your CPU and Video Card fans are running and are not obstructed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:32 AM

Well, I'm not sure what's going on....the only thing I changed was the DVD drive. All the fans are working properly, as I checked them last night. I will check to make sure that my cpu fan is still sitting correctly though.

Acklan, I didn't install the software/programs that came with the dvd/rw drive...I already have burning software on my comp, and it's a plug n play drive that uses windows drivers. As a matter of fact, I don't even think that I put the disc that came with it in my drive! LOL!

John, that temp is what it was after it was lagging, and I only watched it for a min or 2, so it may average cooler than that but TBH I'm not sure what the average temp is on it, but I'll have to do a "before and after" check on the temps (before it lags and after it lags).

I'm fairly confident that it's not the vid card as there's no artifacting and the card doesn't shut down the game when it starts to lag which it has done in the past (hence the aftermarket artic cooler cuz the stock fan died on it). It's just that when something goes haywire on your comp you stop and think "what was the last thing I did before it started doing this"...so I figured that it might be something with the dvd/rw drive.

Any other ideas/suggestions before I pull my hair out over this?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:46 AM

That's cool. Thought I would suggest it. You may have a capacitor in the onboard power regulatory going bad. They are close to the CPU, alittle large than a penicil eraser and 3/8" inch tall. Some have a blue shrink wrap label on them. It should be flat on top and cylindical on it's lenght. If it has a blug that may be your problem. They are in group of 4 and 8, epending on the power requirements.
Over the years I have identified 4 computers with this problem and similar symtoms.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:35 AM

So, how would I tell if the capacitor is bad? Will it be discolored? Or would the shrink wrap be melted? I don't smell anything out of the norm, and didn't notice any smoke or anything that would throw up a warning flag. Everything works fine until I start a game, then it starts to lag and (I think) overheats.

Ugh....I hate computers. I'm gonna sell my comp and buy a hamster.

Also, should I unplug the dvdrw drive that I just installed and see if that helps?
Posted Image

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:43 AM

The computers I had problems with, the capacitors had blugged on the top and sides. You could look at them nd see the were not mormal.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:49 AM

The computers I had problems with, the capacitors had blugged on the top and sides. You could look at them nd see the were not mormal.

Blugged? Meaning like bulged out on the top where they should be flat? And if it is bad, then what? Replace the mobo? Man, the wife isn't going to like this.....
Posted Image

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:12 AM

Yep. Sorry. bulged.

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:53 AM

Yep. Sorry. bulged.

Hehe! No problem at all, I'm just happy to have the help!
Posted Image

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:01 AM

Ok, so I've now narrowed it down to either an overheating problem or a power problem. I disconnected the DVD drive, and it did the same thing (start, stop, start, stop etc.). After about 45 mins of gaming (Guild Wars) and really working the game itself (zooming in/out & spinning the camera where there's a lot of NPC's on the screen to make the VGA card work) the computer resets itself and when it's "verifying dmi (vmi?) pool data", it gives me an error as follows; "Disk read error. Please restart". So I restart the machine and it does something awfully funny. It acted as if the power was controlled by a light switch that was being flicked on and off really fast...meaning it would start (lights on, fans on everything on) for less than a second then everything would power back off....then on then off then on then off etc. etc. I cut the power by flipping the switch on the power supply and waited a few minutes. I then tried to power on the comp only to get the same results (on, off, on, off etc.) So, I get so mad that I had to walk away from the stupid computer. I come back a few minutes later and pull off the side of the case and start looking at things (I mean really looking, like I actually knew what I was looking for when I had no clue). When I pulled the side off, I unplugged the fan that's on the side of the case and set the whole thing off to the side so that the side of the case is wide open. Everything seems fine; No bulged capacitors, no burned up anything, no smoke or funny smell, nothing. I turned the computer back on and it seemed to work fine. I ran all sorts of programs (adaware, virus scan, spybot s&d, ewido, CWS shredder) and got nothing. So I start into a game to see if I can make it do something again. Nope, no luck. I played for about 2 hours, then had my son take over and play for about another 2 hours after that. No lag at all. No nothing whatsoever. Not even a hiccup. Not even a thought about a crash, lock up or lag.

So, is it a power issue or a heating issue? I haven't had any problems with heat in the past, nor have I had problems with power in the past. I unplugged an extra 40gb hd that I had installed but never used, unplugged the DVDRW and it still lagged. When I unplugged the side fan and removed the side of the case, it stopped lagging. So, was it the relieve to the power supply from unplugging the fan that stopped the lag or was it having the side of the case off for open cooling that stopped the lag? How can I tell if I'm overtaxing my PSU? How do I tell if it's an overheating issue? I'll post my specs below (again) to help you out with helping me.

Sorry if it's to much information, I'm just trying to keep from having to have everyone ask a million questions like what where you doing when it froze, did you unplug the fan etc. Thanks in advance and sorry for being such a pain in the rear end :thumbsup:

400W psu with 2 fans
120mm LED lighted fan on rear (exhaust)
80mm LED lighted fan on side (exhaust)
NO INTAKE FANS (put that there just incase I should really have one)
2gb DDR400 pc3200 ram (2 sticks each of 1 gb)
celeron 2.93 ghz 533fsb
200gb western digital hd
160gb external hd (usb)
printer, scanner, headset w/mic (all usb)
radeon 9500 pro w/artic cooler (pci slot thrid party cooler) running AGP 8x
CDRW
DVDRW (not plugged in right now)

EDIT: Tomorrow I will (should) be getting a nVidia 6800gs and will install that...just wanted to throw that in there incase it's a power issue.

I know that's overboard for specs, but if it's a power issue, I figured you'd want to know exactly what might be tapping the PSU for power.

HELP ME BEFORE I GO INSANE!!!!!! :flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by stevealmighty, 26 February 2006 - 09:40 PM.

Posted Image

#12 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:14 PM

Anything? Anyone? :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#13 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:26 PM

It might also be bad ram. Try one of these Ram Diagnostics applications. If there are any problems with your RAM they should pick it up.

Memtest86
Microsoft's RAM diagnostics application

May I also ask if these games ever caused problems in the past? Or did you start playing them at the same time you installed the new DVD/RW?

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#14 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:24 PM

Nope, never had an issue before with any of them. Never had an issue with anything really.

I still have the side off of the case (and the lighted fan that's on the side is unplugged) and it hasn't done it since......I think that's awfully weird. I'll certainly try the ram tests though, and post back with my results.
Posted Image

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:42 PM

It may be the fan is shorting out. If you can replace it they are a fairly cheap solution.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users