Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on which computer to buy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 umm123

umm123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

hey everyone. this is my first post on here. i'm looking to buy a new desktop pc and i'm hoping you guys can help me out with picking which one is best for me. yes i know that building your own is better/cheaper but that's not an option right now so please don't tell me to just build one.

besides basic internet surfing, i'll be using this computer mainly for music production. the DAW that i'll most likely be using is ableton live 8. so this computer needs to be able to run that(or just a DAW in general) and also needs to be able to handle a decent amount of tracks, vsts, etc. i don't plan to have a TON of tracks and vsts running, but i'd like this computer to be able to handle a decent amount of them.

based on my budget(can't spend more than $400), these links below are to some desktops that i've found that, to me, seem to have everything i need. i just can't figure out which one would perform better for what i need. so, can you guys please help me figure out which one of these would be best for my needs?

links:

1 - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1753301&CatId=4928

2 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103420

3 - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-AM3470G-UW10P-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-Quad-Core-A6-3620-Accelerated-Processor-4GB-Memory-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Monitor-Not-I/19714387#Item+Description

4 - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1709367&CatId=4928

5 - http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Starting+price&v1=Under+%24400&series_name=p6t_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/desktops/Under_$400/p6t_series

to me, the $350 HP would be ideal since it's the cheapest, but if you guys think that it wouldn't perform well enough for what i need then i probably won't get that one

thanks to anyone who helps! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:47 AM

The Dell desktop would be better because it has a faster processor then the HP and more ram then any of the other ones. But i am impressed by the price that they sell these desktops for especially the ones with the i3 processor.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

The Core i3 based systems should be a good bet.

The Dell desktop would be better because it has a faster processor then the HP and more ram then any of the other ones.

Well, the HP can be configured to match the specs. of the Dell.

Processors, amount of RAM, bigger HDD, better graphics card and more.

Click the SPECS tab on the HP site and you'll see them listed there.

I guess it depends on which one you get a better deal on.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 umm123

umm123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

thanks for the replies guys :)

it would be nice to save $50 and go with the HP but i guess it's worth the extra money for the i3's.

i'll probably go with option 2 because it's basically the same thing as the 1st one, but it comes from a site with free shipping and very good customer reviews

thanks for your input

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users