Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iPhone 3g and email

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gerry58

gerry58

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

I use an iPhone 3g and have 2 email accounts setup downloading to my phone, but if I read email on my phone it does not show as read on my laptop. Is there anyway to change settings on my email accounts to have the iphone and my laptop sync email?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cataria

Cataria

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:50 AM

Where are your email accounts located? Gmail, Yahoo, or are you using a company email account that perhaps uses a Microsoft Exchange server or something similar?

Edited by Cataria, 06 May 2012 - 04:50 AM.

#3 gerry58

gerry58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

I have 2 email accounts going to my phone, 1 is gmail and the other comes from our domain, and I use pop3 to download, no exchange. What I need is to change some settings to both accounts so if I read or delete email in one location, it will be updated to the phone or PC. I have heard that the gmail account would do better with IMAP instead of POP3, but I see no way to change that now that I am using the account, any ideas?

#4 Cataria

Cataria

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

On your PC, are you getting your email using a web browser, or are you using an email program? If so, which program?

Also, to clarify, when you say change to using IMAP for Gmail, do you mean change it on the iPhone? I've found that whenever I want to make any major changes to my email account settings on my iPhone, I usually just have to set-up the account again.

I agree that if you could use IMAP instead of POP3 (for both accounts), that should do a lot to solve your problem. Does your domain support IMAP?

For Gmail, there is another option you can use instead of POP3 or IMAP on the iPhone, if you are interested, you can use Exchange ActiveSync, which I find works really, really well, especially if you want access to your Gmail address book from your phone. See http://www.imore.com/2011/02/16/beginner-tip-setup-gmail-exchange-push-emails/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users