My little sister came to the states for a mini vacation from her internship abroad. She told me her laptop was acting funny, so I took a look at it. All the programs that have to do with system security were turned off or in 'red' or 'orange' status, something that raised my eyebrows. I could not, even as admin, change the settings in any of these. The errors I kept seeing were:
- "Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x80070424."
- When I try to turn on Windows Defender: "This program is turned off." In the same prompt, it gives me a link to turn the program on, which brings up this error code: "The specified service does not exist as an installed service. (Error Code 0x80070424)."
- Windows Update window has a red shield with an x in it, and checking for updates brings this error code: 80072F78 - Windows Update encountered an unknown error.
- Windows Security, as mentioned before, is turned off. When I click turn on now, an Action Center pop up says the Windows Security Center service can't be started. This pop up goes away after about a minute.
- What's odd is that when I tried googling the error codes from my computer, which is totally clean, it lead me to the websites displaying info about zero access rootkit stuff. I tried this on the infected laptop. When trying to open links to sites like this one or others like major geeks, I would end up at fashion or home make-over websites at first. A couple of times, I even tried to type in the URL to the letter, and it did the same thing. Its not doing that now though.
Thats everything. I looked up other sites but all say to use trained professional help. My sister leaves to go back on Thursday. Hopefully this won't take more than a couple of days to resolve, so I'm trying to help her out before she leaves as the last good thing I can do while she's here. I don't have any logs to attach, sorry.
Edited by kenrock, 23 April 2012 - 01:38 PM.