Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RPC error adding domain users to local admin group

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AltGEKE

AltGEKE

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

DC: Win Server 2003
Laptops: Win7 Pro

When joining a set of laptops to the domain it prompts for domain admin credentials and appears to be successful, but gives an error of 'Changing the Primary Domain DNS name of this computer to " " failed. The name will remain domain.local
The error was:

The RPC Server is unavailable.

When attempting to add Domain Users to the local administrators group:
Windows cannot process the object with the name "domain users" because of the following error:
The RPC server is unavailable.

This happens even when wired on the network. I have tried uncommenting the localhost line in HOSTS, and manually adding the DNS server (which is also the DC).

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Edited by AltGEKE, 23 April 2012 - 01:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Have you checked the RPC service on the server? Manually stop and restart it as well.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 AltGEKE

AltGEKE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Have you checked the RPC service on the server? Manually stop and restart it as well.

Done so, and done so. Also checked that service on the end-devices themselves to no avail.
Wondering if a firewall is blocking the RPC communication. Pushing to test that.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

I would definitely check into the firewall. RPC is port 135. However there are other services like WMI that if blocked can cause the same error. If possible I would try to disable the firewalls when attempting to join the computer to the domain.

Also for reference here is an extensive troubleshooting article - The RPC server is unavailable
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 AltGEKE

AltGEKE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

I would definitely check into the firewall. RPC is port 135. However there are other services like WMI that if blocked can cause the same error. If possible I would try to disable the firewalls when attempting to join the computer to the domain.

Also for reference here is an extensive troubleshooting article - The RPC server is unavailable

All local firewalls are disabled on the DC as well as the individual machines but we are working with the people that manage their hardware firewall. Will also look into this article. Thanks much!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users