Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions on how to embed links and pdfs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Datun Walnut

Datun Walnut

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Hi,

I've been asked to look into building a new website for an organisation that already has a hundred or so pages on their old home spun site (it looks a bit 'hamster dance' if you catch my drift).

The remit they've given me is that they want to be able to add pages when they desire and also have links to monthly newsletters - including archived ones.

I've done websites before with this sort of thing and frankly they are a right royal PITA. Every time they need a new page adding, I have to add a link to the menu on every existing page to point to the new one. Also, every time a new newsletter appears, I have to add a link to it too.

Now what I'd like is:
1. Maybe one links menu that is embedded in every page - all I'd have to do is one change, and it would appear an every page. I've thought of Iframes but I think they can be messy and it's easy to end up with sliders that you don't want.
2. A script (possibly?) that see a folder full of PDFs and lists and links to them within a page. I'd just FTP a new newsletter into said folder and leave the script to sort it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Datun Walnut

Do any

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wignall6

wignall6

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hi Datun Walnut,

Regarding your first question about using a master file for your links. You need to look into Includes with PHP. Here is a good link for you.

http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/php_includes.asp

#3 Datun Walnut

Datun Walnut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

Thanks Wignall6 - I'll look into that - it looks as though it might do the job

Cheers
DW