Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop getting 169.254 even though network is fine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 flameboy54

flameboy54

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Hi All,

I have a strange networking problem I was hoping you guys can help resolve. I lost my internet connection after I set my system up for an image backup, left the house and returned. Here’s how my home network is configured:

Cable internet -> Cisco modem/wireless router combo -> Dlink wireless router-turned-switch -> my computer

My computer, which is hardwired, was coming up with a 169.254. My phone, iPad and laptop were still able to connect to the Dlink signal and surf the net with no problems. I connected the laptop to the Dlink via Ethernet – OK. I connected the laptop the Ethernet cable leading to my desktop – OK. So now I isolated the problem to my desktop. I rebooted, released and renewed IP and still 169.254. I went ahead to force a manual IP address and it worked! Reverted TCPIP back to “obtain address automatically” and got a 169.254.

I’m completely stumped what could have gone wrong. In the meantime I’ve assigned an IP address till I can figure out what happening. Can anyone help with this?

TIA!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

I would still try to connect the desktop to the cisco router to see if you are assigned an address then. It is possible your IP stack may have been corrupted somehow. To reset them type these two commands at the command line.Keep in mind if you are running windows 7 the command line will have to be run as an administrator.

netsh int ip reset C:\netsh.log.txt
netsh winsock reset
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

You could also try reinstalling the network driver or look for a newer driver version. See if cloning MAC address for your network adapter through the dlink router will help also.

Edited by jhayz, 23 April 2012 - 08:32 PM.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users