Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Feds say thousands to lose internet access in July -- Spreading FUD?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Original Article from HuffPo that someone sent me.

Short version: DNSChanger malware is going to nuke people off the net in July. They would have lost it sooner if Feds had just up and killed the scammers' computers outright.

I'm seeing this story (and similar ones from the news wires) pulled down in a lot of political sites and blogs. But I'm not seeing any of the usual tech-based places posting it up yet: ArsTechnica, Slashdot, Wired... The usual suspects, you know?

Does anyone know what we're looking at? Credible stuff? Or just alarmist people at the fed who (generally speaking) tend to not get IT-based threats right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

Heres an earlier thread about it http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic442947.html/page__pid__2673714#entry2673714

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

I tend to believe it.

After all the Feds are running replacement servers for the rogue servers that the crooks were running and thus they should have a decent handle on how many computers are still infected based on usage and the IP addresses.

The IP addresses are how they can break it down to countries. Since individual computers connected direct to the internet all have different IP addresses they can tell.

Beyond that if 4 computers are on the same router they look like one to the Internet as the router handles the distribution of requested pages. So if they see 300,000 individual IP addresses they can be sure there are more computers than that.

My view on the subject anyway.

There will most likely be a small surge of people to the computer repair shops and sites like this once the Feds servers are shut off.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for the link. I don't have cnet and gizmodo in my favorits (but I have kotaku and io9... how did that happen?), but will add them now.

I ~knew~ I was missing something important when I went looking.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

Quick google of: lose internet access in July

Just look at the URLS in the first two pages and I have a tendency to believe it's credible as well.

Currently #1 http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/04/23/fbi-disinfect-your-computer-or-risk-losing-internet-access-come-july/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

i just can't belive how people is stupid

First of all you need we need to understand why the heck they want to Disable the internet ???
because it's not secure ? why

anyway in my opinion the internet is becoming less safer by the Moment
i'm not with government because they tend to be bad when they in control same for people
but now thing are getting out of the Government Hands Yes i'm saying it you might not belive it and say it's FUD
but GOV ON the internet has No power at all they have the Power to shut it Down just that nothing more

People on the internet are building GOV on their own
the Anonymouse GOV and other Groups

Don't Belive the Power of Anonymouse and a lot of People say they are scriptkiddies but i belive the oppiset
the have capability to change the World!!!!

Don't forget it's just a matter of time to have another BIG Public Groups like anonymouse

But one thing i belive that people tend to Go bad when in control or Have Power

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#7 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

i just can't belive how people is stupid

First of all you need we need to understand why the heck they want to Disable the internet ???
because it's not secure ? why

anyway in my opinion the internet is becoming less safer by the Moment
i'm not with government because they tend to be bad when they in control same for people
but now thing are getting out of the Government Hands Yes i'm saying it you might not belive it and say it's FUD
but GOV ON the internet has No power at all they have the Power to shut it Down just that nothing more

People on the internet are building GOV on their own
the Anonymouse GOV and other Groups

Don't Belive the Power of Anonymouse and a lot of People say they are scriptkiddies but i belive the oppiset
the have capability to change the World!!!!

Don't forget it's just a matter of time to have another BIG Public Groups like anonymouse

But one thing i belive that people tend to Go bad when in control or Have Power

. . . what? :blink:

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users