Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp on laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flybynyte

flybynyte

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

ok, first of all, you're dealing with a 50+ year old newbie here. please bear with me. i don't have a feel for all the "computer lingo". my sister gave me her old laptop that is running windows xp. i got so flustered, i can't even remember what i was trying to do in the first place (haha). anyway, i am using Yahoo! as my homepage. just above and somewhat on the right side of the homepage, there USED to be an icon of a "home" along with others listed sideways (safety, a printer, tools, etc.-i can't remember how many). somehow, i managed to make them disappear. well, i would like them back. while trying to recover them on my own, i seem to have made a new bar appear---just above the tab where it shows "Posting New Topic-BleepingComputer.com, i have a gold star with green arrow pointing towards "Yahoo!(24)", "Yahoo!(23)" and down the line. i would like to delete that somehow. i hope i have explained my situation so anyone understands. thanks.

signed,
flybynyte

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

What browser are you using?

#3 flybynyte

flybynyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

windows internet explorer

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

So are you talking about the Yahoo toolbar?

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Hi flybynyte -
Have you attempted to press the ALT key at the end of the Space bar ?? This shows the Top Left Side Menus -

If you do have a Menu list on the Left side of the page, click on View >> Toolbars (First item) >> Command bar (3rd item down) What you are looking for -
Click it to make sure this is Ticked - Then at the bottom of that list click on Lock the Toolbars -

Please tell us if this is the solution for you - :)

Thank You -

#6 flybynyte

flybynyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

well, it did help somewhat---i used Alt key to get some info, but, still don't know how the heck i lost some of those icons.

maybe we can try this question: i just downloaded the Yahoo! toolbar. just below that, it shows a gold star and says "Favorites". just to the right of that is another gold star that shows a small green arrow pointing to the right (near the bottom of the star). somehow i got stupid Yahoo!'s repeatedly all the way across the screen. i clicked on the ">>" at the end of the "Yahoo!" and they show up on a vertical column (along with some other websites). how can i get rid of all those "Yahoo!'s" on my screen?

ok, do i hear giggling!?! :unsure:

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

>"maybe we can try this question: i just downloaded the Yahoo! toolbar."< (Stop adding Toolbars, you will end up with no screen left)

On the "Favorites Toolbar", Right click on a blank area, Untick the item that says "Favorites Bar" (should be 2nd item) then it should "shrink" -

>"ok, do i hear giggling!?!"< < Only a bit (so far), but stop adding to those toolbars, they are not needed - - -

If the Yahoo bar is still there we can remove that next -

#8 flybynyte

flybynyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

only bars showing are the "address", "yahoo!", and "favorites". now that you mentioned it, seemed like i was able to shrink those a while back (per your instructions). now, when i click on blank space, not shrinking.

wow, nothing like learning on the fly!!!

btw, thanks so much for your help---it is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

As suggested above, right-click somewhere around the Address Bar (any blank area on top) of the browser and you should see a menu pop up.

In this menu, select Menu bar or Favorites bar and you should see what you want.

EDIT: nevermind, glad to hear you got it sorted.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 24 April 2012 - 07:14 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users