Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turning Off Laptop Speakers Manually.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 logangaudreau

logangaudreau

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:14 AM

The wires that attach to my speaker input got pulled and broke the little input thing.

Usually when you plug in a speaker cable your laptop speakers shut off and the external speakers go.

Now though, when I plug it in they both stay on.

I was wondering if there was a command that would let me shut off the laptop speakers (there's gotta be a way, if an input of a cable just tells it to shut off, i must be able to shut it off).

These laptop speakers are so twangy!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:01 AM

Hi logangaudreau,

It sounds like you have damaged the stereo plug on your laptop. The way that jack works is the computer sends sounds to that plug unless you mute the sound (then all sound ceases). The jack has metal contacts that completes its circuit to connect to the laptop speakers - so the path to the laptop speakers is always "on." When you plug something into that jack, it breaks contact with the internal speakers and allows the signal to go to whatever is plugged in. Think of it as a two way switch that activates when something is plugged in.

Hope this helps,

rigel

Edited by rigel, 24 February 2006 - 09:05 AM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 logangaudreau

logangaudreau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, I knew it was something like that. I completely broke it now by wiggling it around, the little circular input is really loose. I can't get any sound from the laptop or speakers now.

The card that all the little input holes are on ... what card is that called?

Do I have to replace the whole card now? I have an inspiron 8100. Where should I get these cards if I must replace it.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:39 PM

Is it the sound outputs on the computer that are broken or the wires and jack from the speakers?

If it is the speaker wires, you can get new jacks you can install on the wires.

If it is the sound outputs fom the sound card - you can disable the sound card from your device manager.

#5 logangaudreau

logangaudreau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:33 PM

The input jacks on the computer are broken, well just one of them. Its a problem because now I can't plug in external speakers. PITA.

I got no clue what to do.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:29 PM

Most notebook computers have an Fn key and the on/off key shares one of the number keys below the F keys.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users