Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Slowing Down/popups!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HalfAsleep

HalfAsleep

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:21 AM

My computers been fine for the last year or so but about 2 weeks ago my computer has been slowing down ALOT. Like when I first turn it on and type my pw into my profile name it takes like 45 seconds to load when it didn't even take 2 seconds before. Then when it completely loads, 3 advertising popups appear which really make me mad.

Here is my hijackthis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:18:32 AM, on 2/24/2006
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ibmpmsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\runservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 17 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...://my.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = :0
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2\bin\npjpi142.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2\bin\npjpi142.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} (FilePlanet Download Control Class) - http://www.fileplanet.com/fpdlmgr/cabs/FPDC_1_0_0_44.cab
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: IBM PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ibmpmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: LicCtrl Service (LicCtrlService) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\runservice.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

any ideas on what I can get rid of to stop these ANNOYING popups?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:39 AM

Hi There! :thumbsup:

I am currently working on your log

I will get back to you as soon as possible.

David :flowers:

#3 HalfAsleep

HalfAsleep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:32 PM

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:58 AM

Hi HalfAsleep

The HijackThis log is looking nice and clean. I think that you may have some sort of rootkit that is causing these pop-ups and i need a bit more infomation from you before we can start the cleaning.

We can definitely help you, but first you need to help us.
The first step in this process is to apply Service Pack 1b for Windows XP.

Without this update, you're wide open to re-infection, and we're both just wasting our time.

Click HERE.
Apply the update, and reboot

Install all critical updates except Service Pack 2. Some hijacks interfere with the installation of Service Pack 2, so please wait until your computer is clean before installing it.

Although we may not be using HijackThis is the next step, i think we should move the program into the correct location. At the moment it is in a temporary folder. If it stays ther the backups made when items are fixed won't be secure. The easiest way to accomplish this is to reinstall and delete any copies of HijackThis.zip you have saved.

Please download the self-extracting version of HijackThis from here:

HijackThis_sfx download

Save HijackThis_sfx to your desktop.

Double-click the file then click the Unzip button. Then close the Self-Extractor window.

Using My Computer/Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\HijackThis and double click on HijackThis.exe to run it. If you would like to make a shortcut for your Desktop so it's more easily accessable, right click HijackThis.exe and choose Send To > Desktop (create shortcut).

Please run the extracted HijackThis.exe from now on. Delete any copies of HijackThis.zip that you have saved.
    • Scan Registry: this option is on by default.
  • Launch rootkit revealer on the system and press the Scan button. Leave your computer alone whilst it scans - no internet etc.... RootkitRevealer scans the system reporting its actions in a status area at the bottom of its window and noting discrepancies in the output list. It may take a long time please disconnect from the internet and leave the PC to be scanned until it is finished.
  • The log can be very large please edit out the items in the following folders in the log : C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT and C:\System Volume Information, if in the log, before posting it.
  • Please post the balance of the log here in this thread using Add Reply (please double check that it has all been posted as it may be too long for one post)]

Then Download and Save blacklite to your desktop.
F-Secure Blacklight: http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/try.shtml
Double-click blbeta.exe then accept the agreement.
leave [X]scan through windows explorer checked,
click > scan then > next,
You'll see a list of all items found.
Don't choose for rename yet! I want to see the log first, because legit items can also be present there... like "wbemtest.exe"
There must be also a log on your desktop with the name fsbl.xxxxxxx.log (the xxxxxxx stand for numbers).
Copy and paste this log along with the rootkit revealer log.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users