Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Latitude stop on bott

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ratman21

Ratman21

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

When I start it in safe mode command prom. It stops at driver agp.440 and goes blue screen on me. Is there a way to side step this diver. I rigth in thinking this is part of the AVG anti-virus program. If it is this 2nd time it has done this to this computer. I need a good and free anti-virus. I know I was able to side step the loading of the AVG the last time but, can not remember how I did it.

HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Are you able to boot into normal mode at all?If so then run the AVG Removal tool in the link below,

http://majorgeeks.com/AVG_Remover_d7000.html

Then install Avast free.
http://www.avast.com/download-software

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hello -

Problems when Windows XP tries to load the Agp440.sys service

Please read this Full explanation above from Microsoft - It is not a problem with AVG -It relates to the Graphics system file for XP -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 22 April 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

Hello again -
You can also try a chkdsk /r scan, but this may not repair the problem fully, as the agp.440 driver may be corrupted or missing.

Do you have, or have access to your XP CD ??
You will need the same version as the version you have installed (XP Home / Pro / Media Edition) the Service Pack update is not important for now.

To replace the Graphics driver agp.440, it is on the CD, and can be repaired with a sfc /scannow
Type, or Copy/Paste sfc /scannow into Run Box, click OK or press Enter, and insert the Genuine XP CD when requested.

This will run a System File Check, and should replace / repair the Graphics driver agp.440 -

Any further questions, please post back -

Thank You -
Extra - There may be other methods if a CD cannot be located, but the above method is the way Microsoft say to do this -

Edited by noknojon, 22 April 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#5 Ratman21

Ratman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

Rats do not have the CD for it. It was lost many moves ago.....Will recheck for it but... :wacko:

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Hi -
No problem yet -
Please fully read the M/soft link at Post #3 and see if there is any other helpfull info there -

Thanks -

#7 Ratman21

Ratman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

I can not even get it to a command promp. I am doing some thing wrong here. I just know it.
:whistle:

#8 Ratman21

Ratman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Will reread it. but, did not seeany thing the first go round. This not a no worrys time for me right now. :huh:

#9 Ratman21

Ratman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Well the good news is I found the CD but, that bad news is it not seem to see the drive or some thing as it wont even boot off it or act like there is any thing in the drive.

#10 Ratman21

Ratman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

I am trying to get this Lap top up for my 7 year old nice (I am awfull at speling) and it seems to get worse when some thing up sets me like this (*&*&^%&) PC!

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hi -
Still reading in the background - :ph34r:

Do you know how to set the CD as First Boot device ??
As I do not recall you listing your computer Make and Model THIS is a general list of how to set the CD as First Boot Device -

Scroll down to find yours and see if it works -

Thanks -
EDIT for spelling -

Edited by noknojon, 22 April 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#12 Ratman21

Ratman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Yep tried that.... the PC just acts like there is no CD/DVD drive. I seem to remember that the drive had failed on it just before I stopped using it. I have not use or should say no one has used that PC for 6 mth or more. Just tried to get it back up for some games on it, pic's on it and for the 7 year old to use. Her older sis has a net book and she is left out. Is there any way other than using the cd drive.

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

Hi -
I will see if there is another way around this for you -
I need to go to my "Real job" for a few hours, so someone may drop in, or I will get back after that --

Thanks -

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

Hi - Back from a long callout last night -
It is almost looking like a Repair install, as I am almost out of other ideas :huh:

One often followed tutorial from Admin @ GeeksToGo >>
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/page__view__findpost__p__489

Or create your own Repair CD from this link below >>
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic450649.html/page__view__findpost__p__2671214

If none of these are usable, we need to update all drivers via your Device Manager -

Are you able to please post a snapshot with Speccy ??
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy =<< Directions

Regards -

#15 Ratman21

Ratman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

some how the girls got the CD/DVD to work...will let you know how it turns out. :whistle: :busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users