Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Shift key is constantly pressed even on multiple keyboards

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrSnrub

MrSnrub

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

On my Dell GX520 PC, I receive a "Keyboard failure" message during bootup (before the Windows XP loading screen starts), and after Windows XP does start, I can type stuff, but it is in all caps. For example, if I go Start -> Run, I try to type "msconfig" but it appears as "MSCONFIG". Or if I'm clicking icons on the desktop, it acts like the Shift key is pressed, so I'll be highlighting a dozen icons at once. I have already run a full Malwarebytes scan, but that did not fix the problem. The same problem occurs with more than one keyboard, so I assume the problem isn't the keyboard. I also tried running the "sfc /scannow" command, as detailed in this thread. The person who helped me in that thread recommended I post here.

Please advise on how to proceed. Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2012 - 05:53 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

IME, "keyboard failure" messages indicate hardware/BIOS problems, so I'll move this to Internal Hardware.

FWIW

From http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=129644&doclang=en&l=en&s=gen&cs= :

"Keyboard error or no keyboard present
Cannot initialize the keyboard. During POST ensure that the keyboard is attached correctly and no keys are pressed . Set the error halt condition in Setup to HALT ON ALL, BUT KEYBOARD to purposely configure the system without a keyboard. The BIOS then ignores the missing keyboard during POST."

Louis

Have you run the Dell Diagnostics package on that system?

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&doclang=en&cs=

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#3 MrSnrub

MrSnrub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Diagnostics test of drive 0 failed with return code 7

#4 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Let's take a look at your Speccy snapshot.

Mainly interested in your Hard Drive SMART diagnostics. Also, once we see what brand hard disk you're using we can direct you to a more specialized hardware test.
Posted Image

#5 MrSnrub

MrSnrub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:04 AM

My Speccy snapshot is here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4sqTtrppvDGvc25At3HUIKP

#6 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

MrSnrub,

Time to replace your drive, my friend. This line tells all:

05 Reallocated Sectors Count: 185 (185) Data 00000000EC

Basically what happens in a drive starting to fail this way is sectors that have issues reading/writing/verification are marked as bad and the data is reallocated (if possible) to a reserve section on the drive. In your case, you have [Data 00000000EC] => hex to dec = 236 remapped sectors. You probably have already noticed a performance drop and it is only going to get worse.

I would go ahead and backup the data you'd hate to loose forever and start looking for a replacement drive.

Edited by kisk, 23 April 2012 - 07:42 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users