Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several unkown PCI Simple Communications Controllers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 InuYasha

InuYasha

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 4550 with Windows XP SP3. I rebooted my computer today, and was hit with several "Found New Hardware" messages. All of these were "PCI Simple Communications Controllers". I tried using "Designated Drivers" from iolo's System Mechanic Professional, it did not find any drivers that would help, and neither did Reviversoft's "Driver Reviver". All of them are listed under "other devices" in the device manager. The device manager could not figure out which drivers to apply either.

I looked at the Dev ID and Ven ID and found the correct driver on PCIdatabase.com and applied that driver to all of the devices (since they all had the same vendor and device IDs). It was a specific modem. Now, I have 8 modems listed in the device manager.

That's not even the worst part. One of them suddenly changed its Device ID and Vendor ID, twice! I checked the new IDs in PCIdatabase.com but there were no corresponding vendors or devices.

This is the device details of one of the ones I applied the modem driver to:

PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2702&SUBSYS_00000004&REV_01\4&3B1CAF2B&0&09F0

This is the one that changed:

PCI\VEN_0041&DEV_8290&SUBSYS_00000004&REV_00\4&3B1CAF2B&0&08F0

Before the vendor ID was 0041 it was 0040, and before that, it was 14F1.
Before the device ID was 8290 it was 2702.

Please help!

Edited by InuYasha, 22 April 2012 - 02:24 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

First Do you have any Antivirus/AntiMalware software installed and did the computer install any updates or did you make any hardware or software changes recently?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 InuYasha

InuYasha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

I have Comodo Internet Security Pro 2012. Windows did not install any updates. However, Comodo did install updates, and that's when I restarted and encountered the issue. It could have also been that I had just re-installed iolo System Mechanic Professional 10.

I have made no changes in hardware recently. I haven't even plugged in a single new peripheral. It just happened when I rebooted today.
Posted Image

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

First lets make sure that the Comodo update is what caused it. Lets try and restore your computer to a few days prior to the incident.

Ignore the [ ] brackets this is where I have made changes to the original Microsoft Document.
Note To perform the System Restore, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. If your computer is part of a network, you might have to ask the system administrator for help. To verify that you are logged on to Windows as an administrator, follow these steps:

1.To use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state, follow these steps:

2.Log on to Windows as an administrator [if your account does not have Administrator Privileges]

3.Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

4.On the Welcome to System Restore page, click to select the Restore my computer to an earlier time option, and then click Next.

5.On the Select a Restore Point page, click the most recent system restore point in Note A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.

6.On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.

7.Log on to the computer as an Administrator. Then click OK on the System Restore Restoration Complete page.

Credit: Microsoft

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 InuYasha

InuYasha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Unfortunately, this did not seem to help. However, I only restored back 1 day in time.

I had a feeling that this would not be far enough back, so I tried to do it again. It failed, and is still failing every time, no matter what restore point I choose. Even when I just try the "undo last restore" option. Every single time, I get: "System Restore Incomplete" and "No changes were made to your computer."

I've been trying for hours to figure this out.

Here is the error I found in the Event Viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: sr
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 4/8/2012
Time: 11:24:23 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ADMIN-PCZ58HX2L
Description:
The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000001' while processing the file '' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 06 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
Posted Image

#6 InuYasha

InuYasha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Forget about the previously stated error log. That log was old. The only issue I have right now is this:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: SRService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 111
Date: 4/22/2012
Time: 4:34:25 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ADMIN-PCZ58HX2L
Description:
A restoration to "System Checkpoint" restore point failed. No changes have been made to the system.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Posted Image

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

It seems System Restore was either disabled or corrupted at some point. Lets try removing all of the new devices Windows asked you to install. Go to the start menu and right click on My Computer and select Manage then Device Manager. Select the newly installed rogue Device and right click on each one and select Uninstall. If prompted DO NOT REBOOT YET. There may be a problem with windows not loading all of your drivers for your installed Devices (the ones that are actually installed in the computer). After removing the troublesome devices

Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk where windows is installed (usually the C: drive)
  • Click Properties, and then click Tools.
  • Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
  • Use one of the following procedures: select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start. You will likely receive the following message: The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer? Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 InuYasha

InuYasha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

I've uninstalled the devices, and I initiated a Disk Check that would automatically fix file system errors. I do not believe any errors were detected. Also, this did not help the problem, I get the same balloon popups as before.
Posted Image

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Aside from the Windows notification are there any other errors in the device manager (yellow Exclamation points) Do you have any visualization software installed such as VMware or Windows Virtual Machine?

Chad Mockensturm 

#10 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

All of these were "PCI Simple Communications Controllers". I tried using "Designated Drivers"

Hi Inu Yasha,

Sorry to hear about the problem.

I'm not sure which driver you installed for "PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2702&SUBSYS_00000004&REV_01\4&3B1CAF2B&0&09F0", but I would like to suggest these downloads:

Please try this one first:
http://downloads.dell.com/comm/R56192.EXE
And if that fails, this one here:
http://downloads.dell.com/comm/R60203.EXE

Alternatively, if you don't really use the dial-up modem, I would suggest "disabling" it completely through the Device Manager. Uninstalling it doesn't help because Windows will only try to detect and install it again.

Once you've done this, please restart your PC and let us know.

A restoration to "System Checkpoint" restore point failed. No changes have been made to the system.

If you're having no luck with the System Restore, a repair install of Windows might sort out things for you. You may need to reinstall the drivers though.

id not find any drivers that would help, and neither did Reviversoft's "Driver Reviver".

With Driver Reviver being a driver updating utility, the reason it was unable to offer a driver update for the device in question is simply because it was unable to detect it in the first place. A fully functional driver is what helps the Windows OS communicate with the hardware devices. With a missing or corrupted driver, chances are Windows will list it as an unknown device or throw up an error code. Our program doesn't detect unknown devices "yet".

Edited by ReviverSoft, 24 April 2012 - 05:21 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#11 InuYasha

InuYasha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

I could not find any other errors in the device manager than I had previously mentioned.

Reviversoft,

Your first link is a driver. I extracted it, but when I tried to use the setup executable, nothing happened. No install wizard, and no errors.

Your second link is literally the documentation to the driver in the first link.

The problem is still not resolved.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users