Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General laptop weirdness.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Akashi

Akashi

• Members
  • 301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

I don't actually have the problem any more, because I eventually managed to fix it. But I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone can tell me how the problem might have occurred in the first place.

I don't work in the computer repair industry. But I've been interested in computers for a while now, and I generally seem to be (at least slightly) more capable with computer stuff than some of my friends are, so I occasionally end up doing the odd computer repair job for them.

Anyway, one of my friends wanted their Vista laptop upgraded to Windows 7. They gave me a setup disk and a serial number and I set about the task. The install went fine and it was up and running pretty quickly. The only problem was that it was a bit slow.

I had a look and found that it only had one gig of RAM. I researched what kind of RAM it needed, and discovered that it needed PC2-4200. But, when I took the back off, I found that it had two 512k sticks of PC5300 inside it. At the time I thought this was a bonus, because I already had two 1 gig sticks of PC5300 lying around spare. So I put in the two two 1 gig sticks of PC5300, and then the laptop wouldn't boot up. Then I put the old RAM back in again, and it still wouldn't boot up.

At this stage I could have just reinstalled Windows 7 again. But, because I thought it might be a good learning experience for me, I decided to try to fix the problem instead.

I first ran Startup Repair.

Startup Repair could not fix the problem, but it did give me this error code: StartupRepairOffline- no root cause

After a bit of Googling to find out what to do, I tried the following:

chkdsk /r (no errors found)
bootrec /RebuildBcd (this did not fix the problem)

Then, just for the hell of it, I ran:

bootrec /fixboot

And this did fix the problem.

So, what I am wondering is, how could just swapping some sticks of RAM damage the boot sector on the hard drive? :blink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hi -
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery
Not sure if this helps, but it describes the command and its function -

Regards -