Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Explorer stops working when I open external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 armygreen

armygreen

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Just last night I opened my external hard drive on my computer. When I did, my computer gave me an error message saying that Windows Explorer has stopped working. I then get a message saying that Windows Explorer is restarting. Everything I have open through Windows Explorer then closes, the taskbar disappears, and all the icons on my desktop disappear. After a moment the taskbar and desktop icons reappear. The windows I had open through Windows Explorer do not re-open on their own.

I have had this external hard drive for a couple years now. This is the first problem I have ever had opening it. It's working fine on my laptop, so I don't think it's the hard drive itself. I've run virus checks with Microsoft Security Essentials and ESET Nod32. They found nothing. I hope you can help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hi

What is the manufacturer/model of the drive?

Have you tried...
Rebooting with the drive connected
Rebooting with the drive disconnected and then connecting it
Connect the drive to a different USB port

If you've tried those, let us know if they all caused the same error or if anything different happened.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users