Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Login To Windows 2000 Server

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alkey

alkey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:20 AM

OS - Window 2000 Server
Service Pack - SP4

Problem Description

The user is not able to login to the server with his account or the administrator account.
The error given is "domain JLIEW is not found".

Funny thing is the server is not part of any domain and the server's name is JLIEW. I am assuming that the server some how got promoted to be a domain controller?

Any idea what went wrong?

Edited by alkey, 24 February 2006 - 02:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:23 PM

Are you sure that the server was not set up with a domain originally? If not, there will still be a workgroup.

Make sure that the computer that is having the problem is set properly - for the exact terminology the server has - domain - and/or workgroup. (whatever is applicable)

Everything must be spelled exactly the same on the client as it is on the server to access it.

Try using the make a new connection wizard (start/settings/network connections) to resolve the problem.

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 February 2006 - 03:26 PM.

#3 alkey

alkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:07 PM

The weird thing about the problem is:-

I am unable to choose to login to domain/local

I am unable to boot into safe mode

I can't login to the machine at all, therefore I can't access the connection wizard.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:40 AM

Go in with the admin password and temporilly give all the accounts you are talking about admin rights - let them log in carefully -using the wizards to make new connections, and see if that helps...

SP2 made networking much easier so make sure SP2 is installed on all machines (which it should be anyway).

Let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users