Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does PC Pitstop have a CD Drive?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jaguiar45

jaguiar45

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

I downloaded PC Pitstop in November of last year to see if it's any good and I'm pretty sure within a week I deleted it but now I was looking through HKCR and noticed that I have 20 key entries for PC Pitstop that include CD Drives, disk health, Antivirus, and I didn't download any of those and am afraid to delete them because if something is connected to a drive you shouldn't delete it unless you know what you are doing. Is there any way to delete the PC pitstop entries safely? And something is wrong with my computer, you know how you just know when something is wrong, well that's what I am feeling about my computer.

Edited by jaguiar45, 22 April 2012 - 10:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

<<...because if something is connected to a drive you shouldn't delete it unless you know what you are doing.>>

I would amend that premise to..."Unless you have a problem which requires solution by editing the registry keys/values...please do not enter the registry looking at individual items."

I cannot answer your question re PC Pitstop, since I don't use it...but I do know that many programs make registry entries when installed and I suspect PC Pitstop does the same.

Whether all of these entries are removed when uninstalling said software...well, that depends on how well the uninstaller routine was written. The net effect of leaving such remnants behind is (IME) negligible and not worth pursuing...unless you have a specific problem that points to said registry keys/values.

FWIW: Windows comes installed with all sorts of registry entries...that may not be used by the system. My guess is that these are provided to facilitate possible installation of various programs.

Louis

#3 jaguiar45

jaguiar45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Thanks, it's just that I don't like the fact they put those in there without my consent but if it's not doing any harm then leave it alone. I tried one time to delete Kaspersky ,after I cancelled them, from a driver and then my mouse wouldn't work so I had to use the number pad to move the mouse pointer around to restore it.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

I think that your questions would best be answered by the folks at PC Pitstop? After all you're asking something about their product. Try here: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Thanks, it's just that I don't like the fact they put those in there without my consent but if it's not doing any harm then leave it alone. I tried one time to delete Kaspersky ,after I cancelled them, from a driver and then my mouse wouldn't work so I had to use the number pad to move the mouse pointer around to restore it.

I agree with Animal about going to pcpitstop for better information.
Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 April 2012 - 02:48 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 jaguiar45

jaguiar45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

You know I came to your site for advice not a lecture on how to use the internet. Would you tell a person with a virus to contact the person who made the virus?! You know (unless YOUR the one who's stupid) that PC Pitstop is NOT going to advise me on how to delete their things, how stupid are you dummies? They will just make it worse. bleepS!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jaguiar45, 24 April 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

You know I came to your site for advice not a lecture on how to use the internet. Would you tell a person with a virus to contact the person who made the virus?! You know (unless YOUR the one who's stupid) that PC Pitstop is NOT going to advise me on how to delete their things, how stupid are you dummies?

Hello jaguiar45 -
Just a brief line to tell you that we often refer people back to an "original site", when there is an open forum, like this one is -
Your notion of asking "virus makers" is a bit outside of normal comments, as we use developed tools devised to remove infections.
PC Pitstop do operate an open public forum just to answer questions like you have asked here, but we have no access to their developers.

I am not a member there, but I can access and view topics being talked about at any time, as with most open program sites.
PC Pitstop do offer many legal programs, and you do have the right to ask questions there, if you ever wish to do so.

If your question was related to Malwarebytes, Norton, avast!, SUPERAntiSpyware, Piriform programs, or even Microsoft programs, I am a member of those forums and I could ask on your behalf, but I am not a member at Pitstop forum, and I am not 100% sure of your problem, it is always better for you to ask personally for help with your problems.

No one is pushing you away, but as this is a specific problem, we ask you to please ask the makers of the program for help -

Thanking you for first posting at BleepingComputer -
EDIT -
>>"I downloaded PC Pitstop in November of last year to see if it's any good"<<
There are several versions of programs offered by this company, and you are not very specific as to what you downloaded (Free, Paid, A/virus,Diagnostics)

Edited by noknojon, 24 April 2012 - 07:37 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

<<You know I came to your site for advice not a lecture on how to use the internet.>>

A suggestion was made...to visit the PC Pitstop website. Such sites exist...to answer questions, solve problems, etc. from persons using the products sponsored/developed by that website.

PC Pitstop has never been linked to malware or anything that might be construed as invasive or malicious for visitors.

IMO, the suggestion directing you to that site...makes sense, is perfectly logical...and I'm sorry that you seem to think that obtaining advice or seeking information directly...is a bad way of doing business.

Louis

#9 jaguiar45

jaguiar45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Wouldn't PC Pitstop, all of the sudden, making (or taking over) a CD drive be considered a hijack? And this would be a form of a virus?
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PCPitStop.CDDrive\CLSID
All I did was an optimization scan and I have 20 such HKEY entries.

Edited by jaguiar45, 24 April 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

Let me contact one of the staff of PC Pitstop who happens to be a member here and see if they can address your concerns. I do not know their application but I have never heard of their products being associated with malware.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

I downloaded PC Pitstop in November of last year to see if it's any good and I'm pretty sure within a week I deleted it but now I was looking through HKCR and noticed that I have 20 key entries for PC Pitstop that include CD Drives, disk health, Antivirus, and I didn't download any of those and am afraid to delete them because if something is connected to a drive you shouldn't delete it unless you know what you are doing. Is there any way to delete the PC pitstop entries safely? And something is wrong with my computer, you know how you just know when something is wrong, well that's what I am feeling about my computer.

If you did a 'test', it's an Active x that would be in services.msc. You can certainly stop the service, uninstall from Control Panel --> Programs, then delete the file in C:\Program Files\PC Pitstop

If you didn't pay for the product then post your problem here: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/forum/2-pc-pitstop-test-or-autofix-problems/

If you paid for the product, then post your problem here: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/forum/29-pc-pitstops-paid-products/

Malware does NOT come from or is bundled with PC Pitstop products. I've tested it on all three of my computers.
http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/user/53-jacee/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 jaguiar45

jaguiar45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

Thank you, sorry about some snide comments but sometimes people that are just trying to learn get pushed around and I thought that is what was going on here. I will look into your advice. Thanks again, John

Edited by jaguiar45, 27 April 2012 - 12:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users