Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista repair tools

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

In the repair options pages I have been reading about, you need A windows vista disk to use these tools. We all know that when you buy a computer anymore you do not get windows vista dvd with the computer. Most of the time the restore option is on a small portion of the hard drive. How can these folks use a window vista disk when they never have received on? Would they have to go out an by a genuine windows vista disk in order to do their troubleshooting? Also, what if the computer has been updated to a higher Service Pack then the disk you currently have, provided you do have one? Buying windows vista disk for every updated SP would get quite expensive. I am asking these questions because I help people with their computer. Free of charge I might add. Can these windows vista disk be streamlined and if so, where would that information be on this forum. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Hi wayne937,

Most OEM manufacturers (HP, Dell, etc) that don't supply a Windows Installation DVD, do install the Windows Recovery Environment within a hidden partition on the hard drive. While it varies with each computer manufacturer, you would typically press an F-Key (i.e. F8) at restart for a Windows Advanced Option Menu. Select "Repair My Computer" and procede just as if you had booted from an installation DVD, by selecting the language and then signing into your administrator account.
The following options are then available:
  • Startup Repair
  • System Restore
  • System Image Recovery
  • Windows Memory Diagnostics
  • Command Prompt

As an example, here is a Dell "How-to" run Startup Repair: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=51972&doclang=en&l=en&s=gen&cs=.

If you should have a Vista Installation DVD (without service packs) and you are attempting to repair a system with Vista, SP2 installed, accessing and running Startup Repair, System Restore, System Image Recovery, and many Command Prompt options (i.e. chkdsk /f) should not be an issue. Running System File Checker would be a problem if it found a missing file.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thank you so much Artrooks. This is very good to know. I have printed this information and will keep it for further use. This is a great website for gaining knowledge on computer repair. I am retired and I help a lot of folks who are not so fortunate as myself. I do this for free, of course.

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

Here is a program that helps out a bit.
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html
Also you may find the link below usefull.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic366982.html
Also Here is a site that you can purchase recovery disk.
http://systemdiscs.com/?utm_source=neosmart&utm_medium=article&utm_campaign=Vista_Recovery

Hope this info helps you out a bit. :)

#5 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

The following options are then available:

• Startup Repair
  • System Restore
  • System Image Recovery
  • Windows Memory Diagnostics
  • Command Prompt

In addition, if your computer does have a recovery partition, you will most likely see a 6th option that will allow you to reset your computer to factory settings. This is the option you want to choose :thumbup2:
Posted Image

#6 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for the information, inadequateinfirmity. restoredisk.com is also another good place to get older restore disks. I just bought one there for a 6 year old computer and it worked fine.

#7 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Thanks, Kisk. I will keep this in mind. We just never know when we may need this information.

#8 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

Glad to be of service.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users