Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Dynamica Active bar

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 curundu

curundu

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit, but I think for this question I'm guessing it doesn't matter what computer I have. My utility Secunia has the Data Dynamics Active Bar listed as at end of life and no longer supported by the vendor and I should update it or uninstall it. It's not listed in the "Add, Uninstall" program list and I haven't been able to understand what people are saying on the Secunia forums. There's a lot of technical jargin that I don't understand and don't want to delete the file until I'm absolutely sure it won't mess up something. I went to the Data Dynamics web site and was completely lost there. Way to technical for me.
My questions are: Can someone explain its function in simple English? Do I need it, and if I don't can I just delete the file located here-C\Windows\System32\Actbar.ocx, version 1.0.65
Thanks for any help.
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

http://www.datadynamics.com/Help/AB3/ab3oriFAQ.html

From what I see...the program, if installed, should appear in Add/Remove Programs.

Louis

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

While I'm not personally familar with this program, a bit of Googling indicates that it is a developers tool used with toolbars within programs. You don't actually have the Data Dynamica Active bar program installed on your computer or it would show up in Add/Remove software (Program and Features). The"Actbar.ocx" (ActiveX control) is probably incorporated in another program. It provides added functionality to that program so if you were to delete the Actbar.ocx file, you could negatively impact whatever program is using it.

Here is a very brief discussion from the Data Dynamics forum: http://www.datadynamics.com/forums/140465/ShowPost.aspx

Here is a link that lists software with a security vulnerability regarding Actbar.ocx: http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/24959/info. Arrow down to Vulnerable. If you have Legacy Family Tree Legacy Family Tree 7.5.0.77 installed, you could try to update that software.

I know I am not giving you a definitive answer, but I hope this background info will help.

Maybe others will have further input.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 curundu

curundu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

Thanks guys for your input. After further research I submitted this email to powersupport@grapecity.com with this letter:

Dear Sir,
I have a utility called "Secunia PSI" which alerts me when it finds a program or utility that it perceives as vulnerable and could be a gateway for viruses or other malware. It has identified the Data Dynamics Active Bar version 1.0.6.5 as end-of-life and no longer support by the vendor and should be updated for uninstalled. After visiting the Secunia and Data Dynamics forum I still don't what action I should take. I'm hoping you can clear this up for me. From what I have read I think the Data Dynamics Active Bar is a program for developers since it does not show up in the Add/Remove Program list. Is it a file that allows a program or web site function properly?
Any idea on what should I do? If its an important file or something that supports a program or web site is there an update for it? I have no idea what this file supports on my computer or how to update it or what program or web site it supports or what will happen if I delete the file located here on my computer, (C\Windows\System32\ActBar.ocx). I hope you can make this question crystal clear for me.
Thank you for any help.

I'm still not crystal clear on what I should do. I don't want to mess up some function on my computer, and at the same time I need to resolve this if my computer is now vulnerable.
I'll post anything I learn and how it gets resolved.
Thanks again.
Dave

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

Hello Dave,

There is a small, portable program called ActiveXHelper that may shed more light on the questionable ActiveX file.

The software can be downloaded from here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/axhelper.html.
  • Arrow down the page and download the zip file to your Desktop and unzip.
  • (Note: Some A/V and firewall software might flag this web site as questionable due to the nature of the software; however, the site and software is safe).
  • Right mouse click on axhelper.exe and "Run as administrator."
  • Check "List only activeX controls," then "OK."
  • Arrow over to the right and expand the "filename" column; go down and highlight "C:\Windows\System32\Actbar.ocx."
  • Right mouse click and select "Properties." If you are lucky, it might show the program using the file.
  • If not, you could click "Disable Selected Items" (make sure you only have the actbar.ocx selected) and run the computer for a few days, trying all your programs.
  • The file can always be "Enabled" later, if needed.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 curundu

curundu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Thanks Artrooks,
I didn't see anywhere showing what program it helps. I attached a screen shot of the properties, maybe you or someone sees something I don't. I think I'll disable it and see if it affects anything. After a couple of days I'll post back results.
Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by curundu, 23 April 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

ActiveBarLibrary.ComboList.1

Looks as if it may provide a ComboBox Control to a form within a specific program; a box with multiple choices much like selecting what State you live in from the drop down box.

See what happens when it is disabled.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 curundu

curundu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

So far there hasn't been anything negative happen to my PC. I ran Secunia after I disabled it and it still came up, so I'm not at 100% secure with Secunia. Is this something I should worry about? Could the ActBar still be active somewhere despite being disabled?
Later,
Dave

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

The Secunia scan still finds the file and probably doesn't know if it's enabled or not. You could try to "cut and "paste" the file to a flash drive. That way you would be removing it from your system but could always return it if a problem developed. Remove the flash drive and run another scan.

Regards,
Brooks

#10 curundu

curundu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Artrooks - What a great idea. So simple yet I didn't think of it.
Thanks,
Dave

Edited by curundu, 25 April 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#11 curundu

curundu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

After moving the ActBar to my flash drive I ran Secunia and it didn't show up this time and at 100% so far. Secunia did indicate that I needed to update Firefox but the exe I downloaded would not run after several attempts. I wonder if this has anything to do with ActBar? I went to the Firfox website and downlodaed the exe from there and it updated successfully.

#12 curundu

curundu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Here's another perplexing thing. Secunia again said my Firefox was end of life. I clicked the install solution and it downloaded the exe file same as the day before. This time I thought I'd be a tough guy and run it as Administator. The little rotating circle by the pointer started its rotate thing and after about thirty seconds when I thought nothing would happen, all of a sudden Secunia said "3 programs successfully downloaded" and Secunia went to 100%. That has never happened like that before.
I guess the Data Dynamics Active bar is resolved. My computer seems to function properly. I'm wondering if the ITunes program my daughter downloaded for her ITouch has anything to do with the Active bar. Otherwise all seems fine with my PC.
Another small note. The ActBar I moved to my flash drive showed last modified in 1999, which is before I purchased this computer.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Edited by curundu, 26 April 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

We'll keep our fingers crossed. Good luck. Posted Image

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users