Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD appears as DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ghost141

ghost141

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:43 AM

I was trying to upgrade my laptop from Windows Vista to Windows 7. In the process, I tried to burn the .img file to my external hard drive (Maxtor 3200). I had forgotten that my external hard drive is actually different from a usb stick, even though it connects by usb. Anyway, after trying to burn the .img file using a program called win32DiskImager (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Win32DiskImager), everything on my USB was wiped. I didn't really have anything that important on my hard drive, but that isn't really my issue. The BIG issue is that now my external hard drive is not recognized as a hard drive, but is instead recognized as a DVD drive. This means when I right click the icon, I can't format the drive because it just looks like an empty disk drive. How do I reformat my drive and get it working again like it used to?

Edit: Actually, my drive doesn't appear at all. I've tried it on two computers and powered it both on and off. The disk drive spools up just fine, and in the device manager when I go to populate the volumes of the Maxtor 3200 disk drive, it sees the disk drive but reads:

Disk: Disk 5
Type: Unknown
Partition style: not applicable
Capacity: 30524MB
Unallocated space: 0MB
Reserved space: 0MB

Edited by ghost141, 22 April 2012 - 03:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

Hi

Can you see the disk in the Disk Management window?
Click the Windows Orb(used to be the START button in XP)
type Disk Management in the textbox
Click the Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions link
Let us know if you see the drive and what it says about it.

James

#3 rdallas

rdallas

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Hi,

I was trying to write an android image using Win32DiskImager onto my microsd card, but I accidentally chose my full 2TB external hard drive instead.

I am terrified I've lost everything. My whole life/history/past is on that drive.

I used Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions and I can see...

- boot G: (android files)
- 3.30 GB - Healthy partition
- 1859 Health Drive, but then I went and clicked something and made the drive active.

now the 159 "partition" drive shows up in My Computer, but when I try to click on it, it says the drive needs to be formated.

PLEASE HELP!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users