Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive crash or something less troublesome?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria

Victoria

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

Last night my husband used his acer laptop successfully. Today when he went to use it the browser was open as usual to the yahoo home page. He hit the refresh button and the screen went black and the spinning circle is all that shows. He tried rebooting it and again nothing happens. I'm thinking it's probably bad news and was hoping you could provide some advice. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

Hi -
Was the laptop in Sleep Mode, Hibernate, or had it been turned OFF overnight ??
Can the computer be started in Safe Mode with Networking Using the F8 Method: or by selecting "Last Known Good ........."
This way we can try to diagnose the problem better -

Thank You -

#3 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

My husband just closes his computer when he's done with it. This puts it in a state that requires him to press the on button lightly for the computer to turn on again. Then he just enters his password and he's on his way to surfing the web. I was able to start the computer in safe mode but first when I did it, it gave me the option to restart to a previous date. I tried that but it gave me a message saying it was unsuccessful. I restarted it in safe mode with networking and then a window popped up (while in safe mode) stating that the restore was successful. I'm at a loss as to why at first it said it was unsuccessful and now it says it was successful. Nevertheless, I have left it in safe mode and will await your advice as to what to do next. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users