Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The best Cable Modem to use!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

I am looking to invest in a cable modem instead of using the one provided by Comcast. Is there really a difference in performance and speed by getting a better one than they provide.

The one I like that gets good reviews is the Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UI2FPE/ref=asc_df_B001UI2FPE1985165?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B001UI2FPE&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1219893537433606944&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122009

What exactly does the DOCSIS 3.0 mean and does that depend on the Down/Up speeds your getting from your ISP. Thanks for any information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

Either that or the SB6121 are likely the best no frills cable modems out there. I got a 6120 last year to replace an SB4100 which I sold (and is still going strong in a client's home).

DOCSIS standards.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS Essentially, DOCSIS 3.0 allows channel bonding for increased speeds.

Most of the cable installers still recommend Motorola modems. As long as your signal levels are -15 to 15, they are solid. They do seem more tolerant of signal level variation than other brands.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I currently own two modem's and want to know how they compare to the Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable and the Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.

I have the Arris TM502G and the Linksys CM100, but only want to go with one of these if they can match what the two Motorola Surfboard Modems will do. Appreciate your input.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

The Motorola SB6120 is a Comcast compatible modem.

You state you currently have an Arris TM502G, which is a telephony modem. Do you have Comcast digital voice phone service? If you do the Motorola SB6120 will not work for you if you have a phone plugged into the Arris.

If you are subscribed to Performance, Blast!, Ultra or Extreme internet tier Docsis 3 is the best choice but Docsis 2 will also work.

The 2 you have are both Docsis 2, so it may be better to go with the Motorola.

If you want opinions on Motorola SB6120 in relation to Comcast

I suggest you post in the Comcast Help Forums.

Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines. The link is on the top right hand side of the page.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in. In your case that would be Connectivity and Modem Help. Connection experts and others will weigh in on your choice. REMEMBER TO CHECK BACK FOR REPLIES.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

If you have any questions about the Comcast forum you can PM me here at BC or there, where my user name is the same one I use here.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 April 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

The Motorola SB6120 is a Comcast compatible modem.

You state you currently have an Arris TM502G, which is a telephony modem. Do you have Comcast digital voice phone service? If you do the Motorola SB6120 will not work for you if you have a phone plugged into the Arris.

If you are subscribed to Performance, Blast!, Ultra or Extreme internet tier Docsis 3 is the best choice but Docsis 2 will also work.

The 2 you have are both Docsis 2, so it may be better to go with the Motorola.

If you want opinions on Motorola SB6120 in relation to Comcast

I suggest you post in the Comcast Help Forums.

Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines. The link is on the top right hand side of the page.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in. In your case that would be Connectivity and Modem Help. Connection experts and others will weigh in on your choice. REMEMBER TO CHECK BACK FOR REPLIES.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

If you have any questions about the Comcast forum you can PM me here at BC or there, where my user name is the same one I use here.

To be honest I just used comcast as an example: I am currently not with any provider, but will be moving to Optimum online in the next few months. It seems like if I go with a standard Internet connection speed(15/3, 20/5 etc)then the two modems I mentioned above (Linksys & Arris) will work fine. However, If I choose an extreme, blast, ultra package then I would get more of a performance boost with the Motorola that uses Docsis 3. Does that sum it up correctly or is there more to it. Thanks.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

If you want opinions on something for a certain provider you need to state in the post who the provider is.

What applies to Comcast may not apply to other internet providers.

I wasted my time replying because you mentioned Comcast and my answers were based on what I know about Comcast.

#7 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Sorry I was specific and accurate in my 1st description. I was just looking for some general information regarding the benefit of a better performing Cable Modem. Once I know what company and Tier of Internet service I go with then I should start thinking about which Modem to use. Appreciate all the input on this topic.

I meant to say I was not specific and accurate.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

As an addition to you inferring a particular provider they generally have a list of what modems they allow customers to purchase and allow on their network. What Optimum will allow and what Comcast allows may not be the same. You need to check with the specific provider and get a list of approved customer provided modems and work with that. Having us make suggestions to you with misinformation is a waste of your time and ours.

Once you narrow down your choices from the brands provided and approved by Optimum we can help you more accurately.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

First thing is you don't have a choice of cable provider. If you are in Comcast's territory you'll no choice of another cable company. Same thing With Optimum.

If you are in a area like myself then for TV I have four choices, Cable (Cablevision), DirecTV, Dishnetwork, or FIOS.
For Data I have a choice of Cablevision (Top speed available is 101Mbs) or DSL or Fios or Satellite Internet (High Latency and Caps) or DialUp.

Cablevision supplies a Modem that will give data rate you opted for. Not worth going and getting your own IMHO.
My data rate is limited to the other end not by Cablevision (Optimum Online).

The best plan with Cablevision, bang for the buck, is Their Boos Plus, 50Mb down and I recall 8 Up.
http://www.optimum.com/home-internet-service/internet-speed/
Their next tier up, the 101Mb Ultra is $100 a month.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

I'm on Comcast in PA using a Motorola SB5100 and it still works fantastic!! The only reason I bought it over the Comcast supplied one is I didn't want to pay their rental fees. With the fees I would have paid over the last eight years (it was $3 a month then if I remember right) my modem has paid for itself several times.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

Well that makes sense to buy if the ISP charges a rental.

I don't believe Cablevision is charging me a rental fee so for me buying is not a saving, rather it would be an expense.

Cable companies, they do love to nickel and dime their subscribers.
As I remember it if I want a Remote for the cable box they charge monthly rental fee on that.

Best Regards
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#12 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

Thanks so much for the informative responses. I do realize that some of my post is hypothetical, but we can still share some great information. I did do some research on Cablevision plans with Optimum online. They have 3 main tiers. Regular 15/2 which usually comes in there standard Bundle (Voice, TV, Internet. They then offer Boost Plus on special for $44/year one and then $64/year there after. It has 50mbps/8mbps and does come with a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem which you get with the package.

Here is a list of compatible Modems for Optimum Online. A DOCSIS 3.0 modem is required for the Optimum Boost Plus service.

http://optimum.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1791/~/optimum-online-boost-compatible-modems

DOCSIS 3.0 allows for faster upload and download speeds according to Optimum Online website.

Optimum Online Ultra (100mbps) will utilize either the Cisco DPC3000, Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 or Motorola SBV6220 DOCSIS 3.0 modem. They do not charge for a modem rental, therefore better off going with there Modem.

Comcast charged me a $5/month rental fee while having there service in MA. Verizon Fios supplies the average Actiontech Modem/router for there triple play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users