Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer/Monitor won't boot up/turn on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Splendoodle

Splendoodle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hello!

I re-built my computer about three months ago and now I'm experiencing some issues. I say "re-built" because parts of my elderly, 6 year old PC were re-used to create a new one. I'm using the same monitor, power supply, and shell, and I replaced the graphics card, hard drive, DVD player, fan, motherboard, and whatever else. Here are the specs:

Windows 7, 64-bit
Monitor: Hanns•G HC194D
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500k CPU @ 3.30GHz
RAM: 8.0GB
Motherboard: BIOSTAR TH67A+
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560

For the first two months or so, my computer has been working perfectly and running faster than a cheetah. Just once after the first two or so months of use, I don't remember if I was turning on or off the computer, but I got a message that read "Driver_State_failure". I rebooted it and it worked again, so I thought nothing of it. But around a month later, which is now, I can barely get it to start. Here's what's been happening:

About a week ago my computer went into sleep mode. When I went to wiggle the mouse to revive it, the computer remained running but the monitor stayed completely black, and the little light on the monitor flicked on and off every 3 seconds while making a little ticking noise like a clock. This went on for about 10 minutes before I gave up and just restarted it. My computer then went into "Windows Startup Repair" and fixed itself and turned on again.
Now, this happens every day. I disabled sleep mode so it wouldn't happen again, but every single time I try to turn on my computer, the computer turns on, but the monitor goes black and it ticks infinitely. Every time this happens, I end up restarting my computer several times, and if that doesn't work, I turn off the computer, and if that doesn't work, I switch the power switch on and off until it does. Every time I get the screen to (FINALLY) work, it goes to another black screen that either says "your computer did not shut down properly" or "your computer cannot start properly" and it usually forces me to go to Windows Startup Repair. When it doesn't force me to do this, it just says "Start Windows Normally" (and then it finally works).

Also, I turned my computer's sleep mode off, but I've allowed the screen display to go off after 30 minutes. Usually this doesn't cause the black screen and ticking noise, but just today it did. Fortunately I could revive it after 5 minutes of mouse-wiggling.

I'm assuming this has something to do with the monitor? I just don't understand why it worked so well for 2 solid months and decided to go on the fritz all of a sudden. Also, the monitor worked well with my computer before my computer was refurbished and never had any issues. Also also, if it has something to do with my monitor, how come I have to use Windows Startup Repair every time?

Every day the issue gets worse, and I have to wait longer and try several more times for the computer to turn on. Using Windows Startup Repair is taking longer and longer too. I'm afraid of turning it off now, because I fear one day it won't come back alive. I've backed everything up to my external hard-drive just in case, but I need my beloved computer to work again! What's wrong with it?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

Sounds to me like your power supply is inadequate for your video card.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hi cryptodan & Splendoodle,

I've seen this sort of thing before on monitors and HD TVs. In fact the one I'm on now if I switch the KVM to a unused port or Power settings turn off the monitor or I don't turn off the monitor first at shutdown, Then I have to Pull the AC plug for a few seconds to get it back working.

1. Stop turning the computer off when it is starting. Just because you don't get a screen doesn't mean it isn't starting. That is why you are getting the startup repair.

2. My Guess is that the monitor is dying. The next time you turn on the computer and no display, try unplugging the power from the monitor for 5 seconds and plugging it back in. Leave the computer running. The green light flashing and the Ticking sound are why I say this. If you can borrow another monitor for testing that would be even better.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 21 April 2012 - 03:42 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Splendoodle

Splendoodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Sounds to me like your power supply is inadequate for your video card.

Thanks for the feedback. That was one of my fears when buying all the parts, but I figured I'd try using the same power supply anyway to save money. If this is the case, do you know what specs I should look for in a power supply to support the video card?

Hi,

1. Stop turning the computer off when it is starting. Just because you don't get a screen doesn't mean it isn't starting. That is why you are getting the startup repair.

2. My Guess is that the monitor is dying. The next time you turn on the computer and no display, try unplugging the power from the monitor for 5 seconds and plugging it back in. Leave the computer running. The green light flashing and the Ticking sound are why I say this. If you can borrow another monitor for testing that would be even better.

Good Luck
Roger

1. Ahaha, I figured I was doing something wrong by doing that, but I didn't know what else to do.

2. I'm guessing you're right, especially since it's 6 years old. I'll try out your advice. Unfortunately I don't have another monitor (my other monitors are older). If you're right, now I'll have a lot more research to do with what monitor to get. Thanks, though.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

If you don't get a screen on a Windows computer but you can tell it is starting from the sounds of the hardware and maybe windows sounds. Give it a couple more minutes and then tap the power button just as if you were turning it on. That brief tap tells windows to shut down.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users