Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is eReader necessary to read eBooks?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

I can't find a place for this and I've searched here and on the internet and I am just not sure about this so hoping someone here knows the answer.

I was interested in purchasing an eBook but wanted to see if I'd be able to read it on my laptop as I do not own an eReader. anyone know?

thanks much!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

What format is the eBook in? That will help determining if you can download a reader to allow you to read it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

What format is the eBook in? That will help determining if you can download a reader to allow you to read it.

hmmm, no idea!! I've emailed the "contact us" page where I want to purchase the book but, so far, no replies. I did see some free readers that I could download. so, it sounds like I would need some sort of reader. you've already helped me. guess I wait for an answer from the query.

thanks much!!

or I guess I could just buy the book anyway then sort out which reader to download. okay, I think I will do that.

thanks again :)

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,829 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Glad to help. Let us know if you need additional assistance once you have more information from your inquiry.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

You should get the format, which can be determined from the file extension, but the short answer is that every major vendor that I know of offers an application for computers, android tablets, etc. And unprotected (no Digital Rights Management) formats are even easier.

For Barnes and Noble, go to the Nook section of the website and look for free apps.

For Amazon go to the Kindle store and enter "free Kindle reading apps" in the search box. At the top of the search results list there will be links for the Kindle Cloud Reader, PC, Mac, etc.

The most popular of the non-Kindle, non-Nook DRM schemes uses an Adobe DRM format. Adobe offers "Adobe Digital Editions" software free for PCs and Macs -- not for Linux, though.

Almost any non-protected format can be read with Calibre (free software).

There is an extension available for Firefox that allows you to read unprotected .epub files.

But, as per Animal, please post the format and vendor for the ebook you're interested in.

Edited by Capn Easy, 21 April 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#6 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

excellent!! thank you both so much!! I now see another ebook advertised on the same blog where I saw the other ebook I want to buy. I think I'll go get that one and see what happens. then refer back here for readers. I appreciate the help greatly!!

#7 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

can someone tell me how ebooks that you purchase online work? I assumed it would come via email but I'm still waiting. however, I do know that the person who I purchased the ebook from is travelling so it could just be a timing thing. but, I am still curious how this works. if someone knows how you get an ebook that you purchase online, I'd love to know!!

thanks again.

#8 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

okay, I have my answer as the ebook arrived via email overnight and it's in PDF format so no reader needed. woo hoo!!

thanks again for the help!!

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,829 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for letting us know. Glad you were able to resolve the issue easily. Now you have information to use in the future if you acquire more epublications.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users