Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

consrv boot loop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 calloused

calloused

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Ok, my faince recently got the consrv.dll trojan but currently I'm not close enough to deal with it directly myself so its been trying to rely on google and pointing her to different places, which hasnt really worked out, now here's the problem:

Ok, the registry was checked beforehand and there was no consrv.dll, only winsrv, so she removed the consrv trojan with kaspersky's virus removal tool, but then the major problems started. Now she can't boot, it fails everytime, about all she can do is get to the command prompt and using an image isnt an option because she was nothing to load it on to. Also, cant provide logs due to boot looping restrictions.

She has a research paper on there that she really really needs for tomorrow, so its a main concern to try keep the data intact and before there's any suggestions of "download this and save it to your desktop", let me state again that she cant boot, so even getting to the desktop doesnt happen thus she cant download anything and save it to the desktop, since that seems to be the most common fix that google has shown me, just to make that clear, though she does have a usb stick and a laptop, without the precious research paper. Now, in command prompt, she's checked the reg again and there's still no mention of consrv, only winsrv yet boot loop with boot failures. The only available options through boot are: startup up repair (failed), system restore (failed), system image recovery, windows memory diagnostic, command prompt, and....recovery management (factory settings), the last one she wants to try avoid at all costs due to the data concern.

So my question is, is there anything that can be done to keep the data, stop the boot looping, "fix the problem", without any majorly technical requirements of knowledge and what not?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

I have reported this topic to those that specialize in non-booting computers caused by malware. Because of the few numbers of those who work with such and the limited time they have, it is highly unlikely that the problems can be resolved by tomorrow. It may take some days.

I'd suggest that your fiance contact her/his professor to explain what happened with the computer NOW and see if she/he can get an extension for the paper. Professors are generally understanding about such, especially when you contact them beforehand. In future, I'd suggest that he/she save copies of all papers and assignments on at least two removable media devices at all stages of composition.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

Hello calloused,

Well if I understand you correctly your fiancÚ can get to a command prompt? If that is correct, have her use the command prompt to navagate to the directory where her paper is, and try to copy it to the USB drive.

Have her insert the USB drive and then power on the computer to get to the command prompt.

Then navagate to the directory which will probably be something like C:\Users\"her account"\My Documents\"rest of the path to the paper", where of course "her account" is her account name and "rest of the path to the paper", is where in My Documents the paper is located.

Hope this at least helps get her paper off the computer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

To move data files...remove the hard drive, connect it to another system...retrieve/move desired data files to CD, flash drive, etc.

Louis

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Hi calloused,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please refrain from doing anything on your own, we will recover the system.

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt
[*]Select Command Prompt
[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
[*]In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
[*]The tool will start to run.
[*]When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
[*]Press Scan button.
[*]It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.[/list]

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 April 2012 - 05:23 PM.
Moved to log forum. ~ OB

#6 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

This thread will now be closed due to lack of activity.

If you need this topic reopened, please send me a Private Message and I will reopen it for you.

If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic.

Every one else should start a new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users