Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to purchase a Socket 478 mobo, any advice please?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dalewyn

Dalewyn

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

Hello there BleepingComputer.com,

I recently had the pleasure of decomissioning an old warhorse of a computer in the house that has certainly seen better days: It's a Pentium 4 3GHz with HT, 1GB DDR Kingston HyperX RAM machine which had a busted up mobo (an ABIT IC7-MAX3), HDDs that were nearing the end of their lives, and an ATI Radeon 9600 XT with a dead fan.

As a side-project to do in my free time I'm looking to take the CPU and RAM which are clearly still in prime working condition, as well as possibly replace the fan on the Radeon 9600 XT, and make a small general-purpose computer with them so they don't end up collecting dust and wasting perfectly good hardware. I ran some diagnostics on the computer before I decomissioned it and I learned that the CPU's socket is a Socket 478, which I realize is a very old socket by now. I looked for Socket 478 mobos on Newegg and found some that were "refurbished", as well as some other mobos of uncertain origins on places like eBay.

My question is, what would you guys suggest as far as reputable sellers and venders of motherboards of this age go? Would Newegg be one such safe option? I know I'm almost definitely not getting a new mobo for such an old socket and I am willing to settle for used/refurbished mobos, but these things tend to be a hit-or-miss with no fallbacks and I would like some advice before I commit to anything. Also, as I mentioned earlier, I'm looking to replace the dead fan on a ATI Radeon 9600 XT; are replacement fans for that card available?

I've been lurking these forums on-and-off for some time now and the information here has been a great experience to read through, so I'm hoping I can ask you guys for some sound advice. :)

Thanks for reading,
Dale

Edited by hamluis, 04 May 2012 - 10:47 AM.
Moved from Buying New Computer to internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hi, Socket 478 motherboards..............

You can't just buy a 478 Mobo. It has to match the CPU. Not just the GHz either

Plus the fact that motherboards as a general rule are not as durable as the CPU.

One reason for that is the capacitors on the motherboards have a life rating in hours and most of the used motherboards will be nearing end of life.

Edited by rotor123, 23 April 2012 - 03:16 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Dalewyn

Dalewyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

Yeah, I realize that mobos aren't a simple case of getting one with the required socket and calling it a day. As you said, I need to make sure the mobo actually supports the Pentium 4 that I have as well as the type of RAM I'm using (DDR as far as I know, not certain about the speed). I could get some random Socket 478, but chances are I'd probably end up with hardware mismatch if I don't do my homework beforehand.

At least for starters I know it's all hardware that worked with an ABIT IC7-MAX3 and the CPU in question is a Pentium 4, 3GHz, hyperthreaded CPU on Socket 478, I'm hoping I can deduce the exact make of the CPU from this information. :)

As a side note, I noticed that I very possibly posted this topic under the wrong subforum section (it's probably more suited under "System Building and Upgrading"). My bad, I guess my brain didn't make the connection when I originally posted this topic.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

My question is, what would you guys suggest as far as reputable sellers and venders of motherboards of this age go? Would Newegg be one such safe option? I know I'm almost definitely not getting a new mobo for such an old socket and I am willing to settle for used/refurbished mobos, but these things tend to be a hit-or-miss with no fallbacks

Well, it is going to be a hit or miss situation. I'd recommend looking up the vendors on Google and reading through user experiences from folks who have used them. The top vendors are usually listed on the first page of the search results. You could look for someone who offers some kind of testing or week long warranty.

I'm hoping I can deduce the exact make of the CPU from this information.
You can use this guide to determine the model no. : http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/processors/toolspiu/
Although, knowing the "CPU Socket type" should be sufficient when hunting for a motherboard.

I'm looking to replace the dead fan on a ATI Radeon 9600 XT; are replacement fans for that card available?
Yep. You might want to look at the options here.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 24 April 2012 - 08:03 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 NormT

NormT

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

I recently (within the past year) bought a socket 478 mobo from computer geeks and had no problem with it. I don't recall now if it was "refurbished" of not, ut is works well. I did have a problem with the network drivers, but Geeks got me the right drivers and got me in business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users