Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sleep State Acting Strangely

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MadStevo

MadStevo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

Recently My HP Pavillion a6455 which is running windows 7 Ultimate has acting rather strabgely and more so annoyingly.

If I put my computer into sleep mode before i go to bed I often wake in the middle of the night to find the computer on and not the screen, I have tried hiiing CTRL-ALT_DEL and nothing happens,tried windows key and also tried ALT-TAB to get out of what it is doing but nothing happens.
Even if it does not awake itself in the night when i come to use it the next day i still have the same problem and the only way out is to power down my machine with the power button and when it boots up it says Windows is being resumed rather than being started and when this happens it takes at least 5-9 mins before i can actually do anything much with it and I also cannot connect to my network either, the only way I have found to get out of this is by resetting the computer yet again from the start menu and this loads up fine in the normal time and everything works ok.

So Far I have ran scans with SuperAntiSPyware, MBAM amd also AVG Free - MBAM found a few bits but managed to clear them ok.

I have also done double full scans with all of them.

I hope someone out there can help me with this very annoying problem.

Thanks is Advance

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

If I put my computer into sleep mode before i go to bed I often wake in the middle of the night to find the computer on

Hello and Welcome -
First can you tell us why you only put the computer into sleep mode, and do not turn it off at night ?? This is much safer -
It is not an infection problem, but may be changed by the settings linked below -

Also do you know if there is an Antivirus scan set for early AM (maybe 2.00 AM ), as many do have default scans set for about this time

Now please read this link below to HP 6400 series Stand by / Sleep problems and fixes -
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SupportTaskIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3677047&prodTypeId=12454&supportTaskId=22393

Thank You -

#3 MadStevo

MadStevo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

I don't always leave it in sleep mode and even when I have done this it hasn't caused me any problems at all in the last 3 years or however long ive had this pc.. I'm sure somethig has infected it somehow.

I checked all stuff to see wether something was updating during the night and there is nothing set at all, and also when I used to have it doing that I could always just hit a key or move the mouse and it would show me what was being updated at the time and now it just does nothing. All I can tell is that the fans are going but the drive light shows no activity either which surely would be if something was updating.

I will read those articles now, But i think you may need to help me further look into this problem somehow,I am generally quite good with computers and can nearly always fix all of my problems but this one is a complete mystery to me.

Will get back to you when I have read those articles.

#4 MadStevo

MadStevo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

OK,,,I have read through those articles but they weren't really what the problem is although i did change a couple of settings to stop things waking the computer but that is really the problem it's the way that I just can't do anything with it once it has woken up.

When I did the MBAM scan there was a thing called CrossFireApp which it found but before I went to delete it I researched it as I didnt want to remove anything that might be connected to one of the programs that I use and from what I could find it is a development platform for google chrome app's which I always use so i decided not to get rid of it.

I hope there is another way that you might be able to help me with this problem as it is driving me mad.

#5 MadStevo

MadStevo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

I am going to post this in the am i infected section and remove it from this one as I am desperate to find a solution to it other than re-booting windows as this really is a very last resort for me at the moment as I am saving for an External HDD so I can do a full back up in case of serious infections in the future although I have been rather lucky so far and had very few problems regarding virii and the like.
I will leave this message here a little longer before I move it but I think I am maybe in the wrong section of the forums.

thanks for any help you maybe able to give in advance tho.

Steve

P.S. Is there a way for me to move the whole thread to another section or does this have to be done by a mod ???

Edited by MadStevo, 22 April 2012 - 09:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users