Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Application error every time a program closes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Simon Jaeger

Simon Jaeger

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

Hi all,

I'm having a rather strange issue that I haven't been able to trace, mostly because although the error itself makes sense to me, I have no idea what it means.

I'm using Windows XP pro, 32 bit with service pack 3 on an HP 8510W notebook. Recently I noticed that every time I closed a program, or a program exited properly, I received an error that looked something like this.

notepad.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x00bb1f3e" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read".
Click on OK to terminate the program

iexplore.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x03051f3e" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read".

taskmgr.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x009c1f3e" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read".

And so on, with everything from Reaper to firefox to Task Manager. I've also noticed two other things, which are:
A. this error never occurs if I manually end the task from within task manager or tskill, only when the program legitimately exits.
B. The first hex value always changes, but the second value, the memory being referenced, always stays the same.

This windows install has had some issues in the past anyway, and I'm two steps from installing windows 7 on this thing as it is. The only thing stopping me is a lack of knowledge about how to install windows while preserving documents and data from the old windows install, since I currently do not own a working external drive.

However, if anyone has any idea what might be causing this, or even a method for finding out, I'll welcome your suggestions.

Edited by Simon Jaeger, 20 April 2012 - 11:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

1) Install Windows 7 if compatible. :thumbup2:
2) Is this the same machine that was infected with malware?

"THe only thing stopping me is a lack of knowledge about how to install windows while preserving documents and data from the old windows install, since I currently do not own a working external drive."

If there is no external media to save the data to, this may present an issue: There may be a workaround, but this may also be forthcoming....
One could (I suppose) create a partition on the HDD to house the data. Use the other partition to install Windows; then access the "backup" partition affterward.

I would suggest imaging the HDD before continuing this journey. One never knows; I have seen a lot of strange things and it is allways recomended to have a quick mulligan on hand. :wink:

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

Did you try a system restore in safemode?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

From what I see...those "referenced memory" errors may tyically be attributable to software bugs or damaged files. I would add a failing hard drive to that bit of generalization, since Windows lies upon it.

So...the first thing I would do is try is the Windows System Restore function to an earlier point in time.

Is the system current with critical updates?

I would also run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic to try to remove it from suspicion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users