Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot watch videos [Youtube only]

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 crybllrd

crybllrd

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

About two weeks ago my girlfriend and I moved to a new apartment.
Since about then, I cannot watch videos on Youtube. I have tried other video sites (break.com, facebook videos, all other sites I've tried) and they work fine.
I use Google Chrome, so I tried on IE, still doesn't work.
I erased browsing history, caches, uninstalled/re-installed adobe flash, shockwave, java, and some different extensions.
When I go to Youtube, the page loads fine (and quite fast), but the video appears to buffer (the buffering circle appears), then after a few seconds it says "An error occurred. Please try again later."
Occasionally, a video will load as it is supposed to, but probably less than 1% of the time. Likewise, if I refresh a not-working video enough times, occasionally it will play. When it does work it is after 20 - 30 refreshes.
Any ideas on what else I can try?
I am running Win 7 64 bit.
EDIT: I should also add that my roommates, whom are connected to the same router, have no problems. And, my girlfriend, who is connected with me through an Ethernet Hub, also has no problems.

Edited by crybllrd, 20 April 2012 - 10:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

Video card loose?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 crybllrd

crybllrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I just restarted, re-seated my V.C., and it still doesn't work.
Any other ideas?

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

Flash could be corrupted. Uninstall using the tool at this link and then reinstall.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

#5 crybllrd

crybllrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

I tried uninstalling using those instructions and re-installing to no avail.

For anyone following along on those instructions, there is more to it than just downloading the uninstaller. You also need to delete the contents of four folders, so read all of the instructions!

Any other ideas?

EDIT: A bit of an update: Like I said, occasionally a video will load. Just now one loaded and I watched about 20 seconds of it before the video went black and I received the same error.
What is going on?

Edited by crybllrd, 21 April 2012 - 06:28 AM.

#6 crybllrd

crybllrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:18 AM

Hmm, well does anyone know what file type youtube videos are?
Does it convert to a certain file type wen uploaded or does it maintain the same file type as when the user uploads?

#7 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

FLV and MP4 are the file types YouTube converts to as those are the default file types Flash supports.

With your problem, so you start watching a video then 10-20 seconds in it freezes, video goes black and it has the buffering icon and an error? Which player on YouTube are you using when this happens? HTML5 player or Flash?

Go to command prompt (start -> type "cmd" (without quotes) and press enter) and enter the following commands:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If that doesn't fix it, enter "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and copy/paste the contents it outputs. One thing I think you could try is changing DNS servers but I doubt that would cause the error after the video starts. Normally if it's a DNS problem, it just buffers really slow.

You mentioned this happened since you moved - does it happen on other networks or just your new internet connection?

Edited by NpaMA, 24 April 2012 - 02:22 AM.

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

Hi there,

Please try the fixes here:

And here:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1781785

Video card loose?

Wow, that was a shocker! (no offense)

Edited by ReviverSoft, 24 April 2012 - 07:25 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#9 crybllrd

crybllrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

NpaMA:
"... so you start watching a video then 10-20 seconds..."
No, it doesn't start playing at all. Just a black screen with the buffering circle, then the error.

"...FLV and MP4 are the file types YouTube converts to ..."
Some videos play fine (but very few). Is there a chance it is only one of those file types? Does anyone know of any videos that are one or the other so I can test it?
I have VLC, QuickTime, WMP, Media Player Classic, and a few codec packs so there shouldn't be any problems, but its worth a shot.

"... HTML5 player or Flash?"
I was on HTML5 Beta, I just disabled that, so I guess I am back to Flash.

I tried all of the cmd statements.

I have a desktop PC without a wireless card so I can't test other networks, but like i said, my girlfriend's computer is plugged in to the same Ethernet hub (and consequently router) as I am, and she is not having any problems.

ReviverSoft:
I couldn't watch the provided youtube video, but it had the instructions in the description.
"When the error message come goto your account settings and change the playback settings. Try the other 2 settings."
The only settings in playback are for default video quality, annotations hide/show, and captions on/off. I toggled them but it didn't help.

I also tried the provided link. That was for firefox, I only use chrome (and IE to download chrome =D ), and chrome has flash built in. No plugins, no updating. Can only update my browser (it is up to date). I tried IE and it also doesn't work there.

Any more ideas? This is very frustrating. I am living in Taiwan studying and I use youtube mainly for English physics and Calculus lectures. I really REALLY need to get youtube working again so I can start playing catch up.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users