Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS question HP win 7 64 i7 2630

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 woodsman345

woodsman345

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hey all,
I am a relative novice trying to learn...I have an HP dv6 i7 and installed an intel 510 SSD. It is much faster but I have the understanding that I should or need to run in ahci mode to get the most out of the ssd and have no idea what mode I have, or if ahci is what I actually need. The bios in this HP is not very friendly. Insyde BIOS version F.1A Can't manipulate hardly anything.
I don't want to brick this thing but am willing to follow advice to optimize this. Before I do anything I would like to create a BIOS backup so I can restore things in case I do brick it...if this is possible. I see this has HP_Tools in a drive with bios versions. The SSD did prevent me from booting to the backup and restore drive when needed one time and HP told me that would happen with an SSD. How can I tell if this runs in AHCI mode or not and what potential benefit would I see from it??
Thanks win 7 64 i7 2630

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

Right Click on Computer
Select Properties at the bottom of the list.
Then on the left side select
Device Manager
In the Device Manager select the
IDE ATA/Atapi Controllers
Expand that by clicking the little triangle next to it.
One of the lines in there will show AHCI as a part of the line if it is enabled. I'm guess it is enabled by default.

Benefit would be better speed and Trim command.

Since you have a Intel SSD. Go to their website and download the latest Intel SSD Toolbox and use it.
It has some features, SSD Optimizer, System Tuner, & Firmware (Check) Update. SSD Health status.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%20*&DownloadType=Utilities%2C%20Tools%20and%20Examples

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Roger you are absolutely correct...It reads: Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller.
Attached is some data on the 510, I don't know if it is good or bad, let me know your thoughts. I do know the Windows Experience
score on the drive went from 5.9 to 7.8 and virus scans happen 3 times faster as well as a substantially faster boot.
I wonder why HP was so down on me for installing the SSD? Their HD (Mitsubishi) crapped out after 1 month and I am tired of conventional HD of failures.
I have the older tool box but will shelve it and use the new one as per your suggestion.
Thanks !

Attached Files

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

The nice thing about the SSD Toolbox is that it displays drive health too.

I suspect that those figures are OK. The Laptop most likely has a SATA II controller and not a SATA III controller which would read higher.

Yup it'll boot faster, scans happen faster and Windows update will be faster along with no moving parts so no head crashes.

However you still want to keep it backed up. As well as remembering not to fill it up. The more free space, in theory the longer the life.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

I backed up C the other day and Drive D has the backup operating system on it. I am wondering being that I cannot access it anyhow and already made a repair disc if I can get rid of D and expand C ??....I could use the room. HP sent me 2 reload discs when the original hard drive went to hard drive heaven so getting rid of D would be a plus. Problem is I don't know how to un-partition it and if you have a link that explains that or advice I am appreciative.
How can I tell if I have SATA 2 or 3 besides calling HP? They have made up a little doll of me and are sticking pins in it due to my SSD addition.
This is only 9 months old.
So far the drive health report is optimum as well as projected drive life.
I forgot about the first 510 SSD died in Jan after 3 months . I had some instability and did a drive scan using the old toolbox and it failed. This was at 3 30 pm on a Wed. I called Intel, gave them the error I received from the toolbox and by 6pm next day I had a drive installed, cloned (off the mitubishi HD) and was up and running. Intel was incredible at standing behind their product. I can't seem to get away from drive failures no matter what I buy I guess.
This thing runs flawless except my anti-virus would lock the system up starting a few weeks ago and control alt del wouldn't respond. The first thing I thought of was a malware. I reloaded the anti virus and scanned with a half a dozen anti malware programs and all seems well and the problem hasn't repeated.....So far.

According to AIDA64 Extreme the drive is SATA 111 but I am not sure if I can support this to its potential.
Thanks for the reply and the toolbox link.

Edited by woodsman345, 22 April 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

As far as I know the average laptop controller is SATA II. It doesn't matter what it is since it is hardware built into the motherboard and no way to change it.
So bottom line becomes it doesn't matter what it is since it is a hardware thing and not a software thing.

If you right click on "Computer" and select
Manage
Then in Manage you will select
Disk Manangement
It is on the left hand side near the bottom, Look for the C Drive and the D Drive to be on the same line on the bottom half of the screen.
At that point you should be able to right click on the D DRive and choose
Delete Volume

If you are really sure you want to do this. Gone is Gone. Be sure it is the right drive Letter!

Then Once it is gone right click on the C Drive and select
Extend Volume and follow the onscreen prompts

You can also use help for more help at the time if needed.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

Well maybe I'll hold off till I run out of room in C drive which I don't anticipate happening any time soon. You're right, gone is gone
but D hasn't done me any good so far.
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users